• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Racism

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you are old like me, you will remember learning to read using Little Black Sambo books

Google some images if you want a laugh.

Oh, and I thought a thread on racism today would be about the marathon

Comment

Originally posted by tractor View Post
      If you are old like me, you will remember learning to read using Little Black Sambo books
      And Tintin....

Comment

Originally posted by tractor View Post

Google some images if you want a laugh.

Oh, and I thought a thread on racism today would be about the marathon

Nice one!

Comment

Having a golly *** on a jam jar isn't racist - it's perhaps insensitive. I think that's an important distinction to make if you wan't words to retain any kind of meaning.

But i don't get it - maybe i missed something? One is a golly ***, and the other is a black man - what's wrong with black men on boxes?

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
            Having a golly *** on a jam jar isn't racist - it's perhaps insensitive. I think that's an important distinction to make if you wan't words to retain any kind of meaning.

But i don't get it - maybe i missed something? One is a golly ***, and the other is a black man - what's wrong with black men on boxes?
            Nothing apart from the fact that this is meant to resemble a servant from the deep south of America...

The Uncle Bens icon carries an image of an elderly black American man dressed in a bow-tie, meant to connote a docile, servile, domestic servant, catering to the bottomless pit of others needs.

Throughout the American South, it was common practice to call black men "boy" as a sign of disrespect. It was common practice to call elderly black men "Uncle" even though the person uttering the word 'uncle' bore no relation to the black man so addressed.

The image of Uncle Ben's is a condescending, patronizing stereotype that is demeaning to black men. The use of black Americans as company and product mascots for agricultural and food product merchandise was rampant throughout America's racist mistreatment of black Americans, and the denigrating use of black Americans in product placement, as the icon Uncle Ben's attests to, still continues to the present day.

Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
            X