• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC Tax Rules - Day Trading?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMRC Tax Rules - Day Trading?

I have recently started day trading for the past few weeks with 3-5 trades per day on average. I wanted to find out about the tax on my gains.

Do i simply add the total gains/losses or will i have to report each individual gain/loss per trade, to HMRC when i file my annual tax return form?

Will i be paying CGT @18% or will this be classed as income, therefore liable to pay Income Tax?

Any advise will be much appreciated. Thanks

What does your accountant say?

Comment

I will be speaking to him on Tuesday, thought i'd check to see if i can get some advice from the board for now.

Comment

Originally posted by deeniguy View Post
        I will be speaking to him on Tuesday, thought i'd check to see if i can get some advice from the board for now.
        You won't get any in General!

Comment

You pay CGT. Have a look at the HMR&C website.

Now about those radiators - are they bled?
          +50 Xeno Geek Points
          Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
          As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

If it is a spread betting account none. Otherwise generally cgt, though if hmrc were to argue its a trade then income tax. The latter is highly unlikely.

Comment

They will tax you whilst you make a profit and then point you to the spread betting tax free rules when you make a loss and try to offset your other tax burden.

HTH BIDI

Comment

I have recently started day trading for the past few weeks with 3-5 trades per day on average. I wanted to find out about the tax on my gains.

Do i simply add the total gains/losses or will i have to report each individual gain/loss per trade, to HMRC when i file my annual tax return form?

Will i be paying CGT @18% or will this be classed as income, therefore liable to pay Income Tax?

Any advise will be much appreciated. Thanks
                If you trade regularly you will be charged at Income Tax NOT CGT. CGT is based on the risk of holding stocks for more than a month at a time. Day trading which can be a few days is charged at income tax.

How do I know? See my tax return. Horrible.
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                  If you trade regularly you will be charged at Income Tax NOT CGT. CGT is based on the risk of holding stocks for more than a month at a time. Day trading which can be a few days is charged at income tax.

How do I know? See my tax return. Horrible.
                  Do you have any links to this info?

Initially i started day trading a few weeks ago and made more losses than gains. Now i've decided to invest in stocks on a long term basis such as penny stocks.

I will not deal with any options, futures, derivatives spread bets etc, just purely stocks on the US market, mainly OTC (Sadly i can't make use of the ISA wrapper if i hold OTC stock)

So from what you're saying it seems that day trading is classed by HMRC as a job, hence liable to pay income tax, as opposed to an investor in long term stocks, who is liable to pay CGT?

My accountant isn't sure if day trading falls under CGT or Income Tax, depends on how long i hold the stock and is up to HMRC's discretion. Tried calling HMRC to get some clarification on this, but the technical dept always seems busy, so requested a call back twice but to no avail

Comment

Do you have any links to this info?

Initially i started day trading a few weeks ago and made more losses than gains. Now i've decided to invest in stocks on a long term basis such as penny stocks.

I will not deal with any options, futures, derivatives spread bets etc, just purely stocks on the US market, mainly OTC (Sadly i can't make use of the ISA wrapper if i hold OTC stock)

So from what you're saying it seems that day trading is classed by HMRC as a job, hence liable to pay income tax, as opposed to an investor in long term stocks, who is liable to pay CGT?

My accountant isn't sure if day trading falls under CGT or Income Tax, depends on how long i hold the stock and is up to HMRC's discretion. Tried calling HMRC to get some clarification on this, but the technical dept always seems busy, so requested a call back twice but to no avail
                    There are no hard and fast rules, as even the HMRC guidance acknowledges (link)

In Lewis Emanuel & Son Ltd v White, the judge said that he saw short-term transactions as gambling so not trading.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X