• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Snooker rule

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snooker rule

I was playing snooker on Saturday for the first time in about 15 years. My opponent claimed that it was a rule that if the white was potted or knocked off the table then it was placed in the D but could only be played down the table.

I have never heard this in my life.

I have looked at some online snooker rules but cannot find mention of it - has anyone else heard this?
    "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
    I was playing snooker on Saturday for the first time in about 15 years. My opponent claimed that it was a rule that if the white was potted or knocked off the table then it was placed in the D but could only be played down the table.

I have looked at some online snooker rules but cannot find mention of it - has anyone else heard this?
    I heard of it, think it is real.

Comment

I am 100% sure this is a mix up with pool rules where you just have the baulk line and not the D and the cue ball has to be placed behind the baulk line and you have to play down the table.

happy to be corrected though.

Comment

Some people play this rule in pool (not sure what the official pool / billiards rule / law is), but it does not apply to snooker.
        The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

I would think your mate is a bit confused with some pool rules.... where various local rules apply.

In snooker the white is played from the D.. but any which way.

<Edit>
          ***** that is a 1st.... 4 posts all in agreement!!

Comment

Is it

9. In-hand
            (a) The cue-ball is in-hand:
            (i) before the start of each frame;
            (ii) when it has entered a pocket;
            (iii) when it has been forced off the table; or
            (iv) when the black is spotted in the event of tied scores.
            (b) The cue-ball remains in-hand until:
            (i) it is played fairly from in-hand; or
            (ii) a foul is committed whilst the ball is on the table.
            (c) The striker
            5. Playing from In-hand
            To play from in-hand, the cue-ball must be struck from a position on or
            within the lines of the “D”, but it may be played in any direction.
            (a) The referee will state, if asked, whether the cue-ball is properly placed
            (that is, not outside the lines of the “D”).
            (b) If the tip of the cue should touch the cue-ball while positioning it, and
            the referee is satisfied that the striker was not attempting to play a
            stroke, then the cue-ball is not in play.
            Found in the rules here...

http://www.worldsnooker.com/staticFi...~167232,00.pdf

Of course playing in-hand has a completely different meaning for SimonMac.....
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

According to the official rules the ball is 'in hand' and may be played from the D in any direction.

http://www.worldsnooker.com/staticFi...~167232,00.pdf
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by Dactylion View Post
                I would think your mate is a bit confused with some pool rules.... where various local rules apply.

In snooker the white is played from the D.. but any which way.

<Edit>
                ***** that is a 1st.... 4 posts all in agreement!!
                +1
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I had a feeling it was a snooker/pool mix up!

Awesome, a series of helpful posts in a row in General, a nice way to round off a depressing Tuesday!
                  "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

I had a feeling it was a snooker/pool mix up!

Awesome, a series of helpful posts in a row in General, a nice way to round off a depressing Tuesday!
                    It's not depressing it's great only worked one day and it's already Wednesday tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                    X