• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Moog Synthesiser is 50 years old

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by doodab View Post
    I have various soft modulars (scope DSP powered one, NI reaktor, Karma FX) and when I can be bothered to use them these days I usually patch a fairly standard 2 or 3 oscillators into a filter with envelopes, LFO and step sequencers for modulation. NI Massive or my Virus can do pretty much the same thing (I use the step sequencer in my drum machine to sequence it) and they are a lot easier to use.

Having said that I've had a go on / demo of a Cwejman S1 and some Doepfer gear in a shop and they both sounded pretty amazing. It's a lot of money for something that only plays one note at a time though, I doubt the rest of my studio is worth that much in total.

What sort of music do you produce - would be really keen to have a listen.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin@AS Financial View Post
      What sort of music do you produce - would be really keen to have a listen.
      I don't really produce anything, or at least finish anything. I generally just lose myself in knob twiddling acid techno jamming for a few hours at a stretch, but I rarely bother to record it or build any sort of recognisable structure. I should make more of an effort really. I need to figure out song mode on the drum machine properly.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I don't really produce anything, or at least finish anything. I generally just lose myself in knob twiddling acid techno jamming for a few hours at a stretch, but I rarely bother to record it or build any sort of recognisable structure. I should make more of an effort really. I need to figure out song mode on the drum machine properly.
        Haha - I know what you mean. I'm working on 2 tunes at the mo and can't seem to finish them - luckily my brother works for Loopmasters so is always on hand with advice and sample recomendations.

Do you dj as well?

Comment

Do you dj as well?
          Nah. I used to when I was at uni 20 years ago but I can't be bothered to keep up with music anymore. I mostly buy old music these days (like Mozart and Joni Mitchell sort of old)
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Nah. I used to when I was at uni 20 years ago but I can't be bothered to keep up with music anymore. I mostly buy old music these days (like Mozart and Joni Mitchell sort of old)
            20 years ago was a good time for music with lots of very cool record shops that have since shut down.

Comment

20 years ago was a good time for music with lots of very cool record shops that have since shut down.
              They were happy days alright. We had dance music going through a period of rapid innovation as well, a lot of classic tracks were made in and around that period. Post the early 90s boom in cartoon hardcore rave music we had the resurgence of the 303, Progressive House, Trance, Trip Hop, D&B all coming along around that time, not to mention stuff like Aphex Twin, Black Dog etc.

It seems much more samey now. Perhaps I just got old.

Comment

They were happy days alright. We had dance music going through a period of rapid innovation as well, a lot of classic tracks were made in and around that period. Post the early 90s boom in cartoon hardcore rave music we had the resurgence of the 303, Progressive House, Trance, Trip Hop, D&B all coming along around that time, not to mention stuff like Aphex Twin, Black Dog etc.

It seems much more samey now. Perhaps I just got old.
                Oh yes - good times indeed. I used to love going to Blackmarket and Uptown Records in Soho for my vinyl and then race home as quickly as possible to mix it.

Theres stil lots of good music out there but it just takes a bit longer to find it. I personally love the early dnb that was coming out of London and Bristol in the early 90's.

Was listening to this by the Aphex Twin at the weekend and it still sounds fresh:

Aphex Twin - Heliosphan - YouTube

Comment

Theres stil lots of good music out there but it just takes a bit longer to find it. I personally love the early dnb that was coming out of London and Bristol in the early 90's.
                  I grew up in Hertford, so used to go to Rob the guy from Omni Trio's record shop (Parliament, which now has the main branch in Hitchin IIRC) and spend my hard earned 2-3x a week. I was in there the day that it opened and was a regular customer so chatted to him quite a lot over the years. Rob Playford (Moving Shadow) & Shaun O'Keefe (Two Bad Mice) used to come in there a lot as well but I only chatted to him once. I got a load of classic records from there, acid like ecstacy club (I had to persuade him to sell me two copies so I could get one for my best mate), all the hardcore anthems of the 89-02 period (T99, Manix, Zero B, Didgeridoo etc), the first WARP album, first black dog album, first aphex twin album, loads of stuff.

I was at uni in Bristol after that, we used to go see Roni Size and DJ Krust on a tuesday or wednesday on a boat called the Thekla. This was 92-95 so a bit before it all kicked off for him and he won the Mercury prize. I still have my DX100 uber bassline machine from back in those days. Even with all the soft synths and a Virus I can't bring myself to part with it. What I really enjoy is getting that and the virus synced to the machinedrum so I don't need the computer at all apart from setting up the routings on the MIDI interface so it all plays nice.

I have a QY70 the missus gave me that I need to get into as well, I reckon with that I could do a whole track without going near the computer. Her mate who gave it to her composed a whole album on it, but he was actually a proper & talented musician.
                  Last edited by doodab; 13 May 2014, 11:23.

Comment

Was listening to this by the Aphex Twin at the weekend and it still sounds fresh:

Aphex Twin - Heliosphan - YouTube
                    That album is a class. It was so different from what went before or since that it's basically timeless. I still play it and the Polygon Window one he did in the car sometimes. Quoth in a car is dangerous, I nearly always end up flooring it involuntarily.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9neHCT16Ll4

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                      Lots of instruments only play one note at once. A friend of mine spends more than that on Saxophones.
                      Oh don't get me wrong, they are bloody lovely and I'd buy one if I had the cash lying around, as well as a few other top end synths that cost the same sort of money, but my whole "studio" only cost me about £4k and I have a few decent soft synths already so I'd spend the money elsewhere first. A few decent hardware compressors, a TC D2 delay, another reverb unit would all be on the shopping list before a £3k synth.

Now a DSI Mopho or Dark Energy on the other hand is ~ £300. I can do that. And it's my 40th birthday next Monday too....
                      Last edited by doodab; 13 May 2014, 11:51.

Comment

Working...
                      X