• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

ECHR again...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    This is how law becomes weakened by good intentions and sympathetic cases.

As to defending property, well this is the whole point of the proceeds of crime act, it means it isn't the criminals property and it never was. Not sure how you can confuse that with an innocent person being deprived of their legally acquired property by fraudulent government officials and retrospective legislation.
    And in such cases, individual property rights, which are pretty fundamental, are to be balanced against the needs of the public. The drug dealer and the undocumented worker are two completely different categories of crime with completely differing impacts on the public, and the ECHR rightly ticked the British government on the fingers for not balancing those rights.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Presumably though if he had of been an oligarch who had got his millions from, lets say, not too legal means yet had bought a rather large and expensive property in London and flashed the cash, then such an act would not have happened (although he may be here legally, he may be wanted in other countries...)
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
        Presumably though if he had of been an oligarch who had got his millions from, lets say, not too legal means yet had bought a rather large and expensive property in London and flashed the cash, then such an act would not have happened (although he may be here legally, he may be wanted in other countries...)
        indeed, this is why justice should be blind.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
          And in such cases, individual property rights, which are pretty fundamental, are to be balanced against the needs of the public. The drug dealer and the undocumented worker are two completely different categories of crime with completely differing impacts on the public, and the ECHR rightly ticked the British government on the fingers for not balancing those rights.
          why?

Just because his crime was 'lesser' (who defines this objectively?) why is his right to the illegally obtained money more?

If he had fiddled benefits would he be more entitled to the money or less?
          If he had defrauded a little old lady etc.

too many grey areas! Too much money for lawyers.

Comment

Just because his crime was 'lesser' (who defines this objectively?)
            1; yes
            2; courts

Comment

1; yes
              2; courts
              I respect your opinion but I fear you are wrong.

Comment

I respect your opinion but I fear you are wrong.
                No, I think you feel the court's decision was wrong.

Comment

No, I think you feel the court's decision was wrong.
                  both. I was being polite.

Comment

Working...
                  X