• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Motorway speeds: Get used to driving at 40mph

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
    You don't use the Grane road then?
    What's that?

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
      FTFY
      No because I am working. But I can take tea breaks in my garden.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        No because I am . But I can take tea breaks in my garden.
        FTFY

Comment

This is why you aren't allowed to WFH and have to drive on the motorway like a wage-slave.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            This is why you aren't allowed to WFH and have to drive on the motorway like a wage-slave.
            Who said I wasn't allowed to WFH?

Sorry - I couldn't resist, every one of your posts was just asking for a FTFY.

Comment

Didn't they run an experiment on the M25 a few years ago to make the maximum during rush hour 25mph? Instead of starting and stopping all the time, the traffic kept on the move and people found their journeys were quicker than normal.

Comment

Originally posted by Batcher View Post
                Didn't they run an experiment on the M25 a few years ago to make the maximum during rush hour 25mph? Instead of starting and stopping all the time, the traffic kept on the move and people found their journeys were quicker than normal.
                yeah that 25mph will gradually come down as the car park known as the M25 becomes fuller.

Comment

What many people don't realise judging by the comments in that article (although it's quite well documented) is that dense fast moving traffic experiences chaotic shockwaves similar to a sonic boom. It travels in the opposite direction to the traffic and usually causes the flow to come to a halt. The point of reducing speed lmits is to prevent this happening, which reduces the overall journey time through a given busy stretch.

To put it simply, you just can't get that much traffic to flow at 70mph down that road. The above mentioned phenomena will prevent you from doing so.
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                    What many people don't realise judging by the comments in that article (although it's quite well documented) is that dense fast moving traffic experiences chaotic shockwaves similar to a sonic boom. It travels in the opposite direction to the traffic and usually causes the flow to come to a halt. The point of reducing speed lmits is to prevent this happening, which reduces the overall journey time through a given busy stretch.

To put it simply, you just can't get that much traffic to flow at 70mph down that road. The above mentioned phenomena will prevent you from doing so.
                    Reduces overall journey time taken as an average over all the cars. It doesn't mean that an individual driver gets there faster; obviously for an individual driver the slower they go the longer it takes.

The whole raison d'etre of motorways is high speed travel. If you're going to start reducing them to 40mph, then what's the point? May as well take the train if you want to waste half your day travelling.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

The chap explicitly states that he's referring to travelling "down the M6 into Birmingham" and "every weekday morning". To take a reference to a few miles of road a few hours a week, and convert it into "Motorists must get used to driving at 40mph on the motorway" is a bit of an over-generalisation, to say the least.

Comment

Working...
                      X