• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Considering becoming a contractor

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Build a good LinkedIn profile. Link with your old colleagues, bosses, suppliers, clients. Let them all know what you are looking for, what you can offer and what your timescales are. See if there is flexibility in your end date with your current job and save your leave days to facilitate a quick bunk.
    The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Worth checking with HR that as part of your redundancy you get time off for attending interviews and retraining, many do these days.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        Give up. Your career is over, best to try and get a job at B&Q.
        Not helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by gbonner View Post
          Worth checking with HR that as part of your redundancy you get time off for attending interviews and retraining, many do these days.
          I think I do. If push comes to shove, I can always "work from home".

Comment

Originally posted by ianbhenderson73 View Post
            Not helpful.
            He's a fat alcoholic **** with no life. Don't worry about it.
            The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

ok

Good afternoon fellow forumites.

I was wondering if I could get some honest feedback from others that have taken the leap and become IT contractors.

The company I work for (who shall remain nameless until I no longer work for them) have decided that the BI function that's currently provided from two sites within their UK operation is one which can better be provided by staff in India, which means that I and 12 other people will be redundant as from the end of September.

I've been with the company in its various incarnations for the past fifteen years, so I'm going to be walking away with a fairly good redundancy package. I've always toyed with the idea of being an IT contractor and picking up short-term contracts, but because I've had a permanent position I've been unwilling to take that leap into the unknown. Now though, that opportunity is presenting itself.

I've been in IT since 1995 and would say that the majority of my skills lie in database administration, specifically around Microsoft SQL Server (2005/2008). I know that there are various ways in which to set up as a contractor, but I'm wondering if anyone can give me any pointers on the best way to go about it.

TIA

Ian
              stay in your job till sept 2016 when outsourced BI staff can atually take it over, or go this september come back October as a contractor and fix the issues

Comment

Not helpful.
                It is better to never try than to fail.
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                  It is better to never try than to fail.
                  did you have your annual appraisal yesterday?

You seem to be repeating the stock phrases from it..
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Not helpful.
                    For general that was very helpful.

Can you bleed a radiator?

Comment

Isn't starting a thread causing our regular General posters to actually give some proper advice a bannable offence? It should be...

Ban him!!! 2 days for trolling General!
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X