• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do young people not read long emails any more?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do young people not read long emails any more?

where by long I mean more than a line or two

I wouldn't class myself as a windbag, but there are times when things need several lines to express properly and completely.

But it seems like to people under the age of 30 any email longer than "Thanks, no prob", or "OK, I'm on it" is an intolerable burden, as if they're being expected to read a 100 page PDF file of tax form guidance notes.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

I wouldn't class myself as a windbag, but there are times when things need several lines to express properly and completely.

But it seems like to people under the age of 30 any email longer than "Thanks, no prob", or "OK, I'm on it" is an intolerable burden, as if they're being expected to read a 100 page PDF file of tax form guidance notes.
    TL;DR;

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

I wouldn't class myself as a windbag,
      This is the issue.
      The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

I'm like soooo not reading this long post.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Whatevs
          "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Have you tried talking to people face-to-face? I find it works better with those types of people.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

God Damned Young People are Poisoning Their Minds with Too Much Information | The Problem with Young People Today Is...
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Feed it to them through a stream of instant messages and mix in a few lols you qt.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  Have you tried talking to people face-to-face? I find it works better with those types of people.
                  Doesn't sound awfully good.
                  The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    They then deny you said it when they cock up and try to blame you, I like an email to reach for. I do try to talk face to face with more crucial conversations then confirm in an email.

In absence of a PM on one project (they have been promoted and not replaced) I have been sending out 2 page email meeting notes with all issues. Strange things that were 'impossible' or 'not our job' before I did this seem to be happening.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X