• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Where to go in france for holiday

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
    Can you not just Eurostar to Paris? Plenty of nice places to stay in the outskirts, and then you can pop into the City to do touristy things. I was there recently and a French tourguide told me that all the French leave the City in July & August, so presumably it won't be too busy there either.
    Plus day trip(s) to Disneyland if that's your thing (if you do three days in Disney, it's cheaper to buy an annual pass instead of a three day pass - so if you are considering doing more than three days in a year it's an obvious choice)
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

We had nice holidays staying in Baud, near Lorient, Carnac, Vannes which is just a couple of hour's drive from Roscoff.

Places to stay: Holiday accommodation in Baud, Morbihan

oh, happy memories....

Comment

Originally posted by css_jay99 View Post
        I wonder how center parcs are in france
        We stayed at a camp site in the Netherlands last summer which had a theme park and a water park there as well, which we got free entry to.

A (marginally NSFW) photo from the family entertainment show can be seen here - it's slightly more adult oriented than the stuff you get at Disney
        Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

The atlantique coast is probably nearer 10 hours+ from Calais -

Try a west channel ferry crossing Portsmouth - St Malo is a good overnight one (which is a bit of an adventure for the kids) and they you are maybe 3-4 hours drive to Vendee, Britanny and Gascogne

Comment

Next year is 4 weeks near Paris. The plan is to be somewhere near a station to allow us to catch the train into central paris and a car to get to Eurodisney...
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Clare@InTouch View Post
              I was there recently and a French tourguide told me that all the French leave the City in July & August, so presumably it won't be too busy there either.
              Some stuff will be closed though, some restaurants and suchlike.
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                Next year is 4 weeks near Paris. The plan is to be somewhere near a station to allow us to catch the train into central paris and a car to get to Eurodisney...
                Not sure if you are after a hotel or camping but we stayed Here

Also try Asterix Parc cheaper ... and better than Disney

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                  Not sure if you are after a hotel or camping but we stayed Here

Also try Asterix Parc cheaper ... and better than Disney
                  Nope we'll be renting a house / apartment for the month.

It may be easy as one of our friends is now a CofE vicar for one of the parishes just outside Paris so with luck we may be able to house swap or rent there.... My plan is however to get through this Summer before I worry about next Summer...
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    Go by train to Disney instead of car - unless you have an annual pass that gives you free parking, it's not cheap to park there for the day.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

We tend to stay for a week/fortnight in a gite and a week in and around Paris. Last time we stayed here - Hotel Novotel Paris Creteil le Lac: travel, stay or vacation, holiday at CRETEIL

It has an outdoor swimming pool and lovely walks around the lake. It's only a short drive into Paris or 10 minutes walk from the train station.

We've stayed in a few Novotels and they are pretty decent.

Vendee is nice but is a long drive from Calais. It's quite windy in the evening so take a kite for the kids

We tend to stay inland on farms and hamlets over Brittany, Normandy and Picardy which are a short drive to the beaches.

We stayed here once, it was good for kids, has a golf course and is close to the beach but the swimming pool wasn't exclusive for the village and was swamped by kids from the local schools. Pierre & Vacances Holiday Villages Belle Dune (Fort-Mahon-Plage, France - Picardy) - Hotel Reviews - TripAdvisor

Edit: ** Oops, just checked out the photos on the last link and it looks like the place has gone downhill in the years since we stayed there. The accomodation looks in need of upgrade **
                      Last edited by Batcher; 16 May 2014, 12:41. Reason: Just checked out the last link

Comment

Working...
                      X