• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I am not cut out to be a contractor!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    When I went permie I worked out that I was about 20% down in take home terms. That was based on my previous gig, with a long commute, and contentiously being IR35 caught, which I wasn't, but that seemed a more accurate comparison than one derived via tax avoidance (otherwise it would have been 30%+). But I was probably at the lower to middle end of rates compared to a lot of you, whereas I seemed to be quite in demand as a permie.

Half the reason was having go through all the pain of looking for jobs, interviews, and most of all dealing with agents, and then thinking I might well be doing it all over again in 6 months time.
    That's half the reason I do contracting. I like applying, speaking/negotiating with agents (genuine ones not the fishing type), going for interviews and then choosing between multiple roles. If you find that bit a pain then you are right: you ain't cut out for contracting.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
      That's half the reason I do contracting. I like applying, speaking/negotiating with agents (genuine ones not the fishing type), going for interviews and then choosing between multiple roles. If you find that bit a pain then you are right: you ain't cut out for contracting.
      You're weird.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        It happens to us all. If at the end of the day you can negotiate a deal what compares to what you got as a contractor even better.
        No it doesn't and won't. I will be packing it in though in 2 -3 years and then hopefully off to do a research degree.
        But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Good luck with it... whatever you decide to do. - Im sure it will work out for the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Hireonomy View Post
            Good luck with it... whatever you decide to do. - Im sure it will work out for the best.
            MUN, you have a legally binding confirmation from Hireonomy there. Now you can't lose!

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
              You're weird.
              +1. I much prefer a steady income from repeat business. That's the advantage of developing relationships with consultancies and vendors.
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Funny Im in the same position. Liked the challenge and variety at first but now I'm in a gig 5 minutes walk from home, in a congenial team, lovely managers, no open plan office and there is talk of permanent jobs coming up through internal promotion. Especially since HMRC has just sent me a demand for £2k, even though Im inside IR35 and have paid my tax religiously like a good girl it looks as though some of my PAYE payments have gone astray. Accountant says she can fix it and it' not uncommon but it has taken up a fair chunk of a very much looked forward to day off this week. Plus I have stupidly miscalculated by VAT and will have to claim a refund. Obviously I'm not really cut out for it either.

Whatever suits you is best.

Comment

If it looks like the right move for you, do it.

There's nothing stopping you from going back contracting at a later date if the situation changes.

Oh and please remember to hand in your badge on the way out of course

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
                    MUN, you have a legally binding confirmation from Hireonomy there. Now you can't lose!
                    I don't think it can be legally binding if the poster's company website lacks company details, even if that poster cannot correctly use apostrophes.
                    The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

For exactly the same reasons I went permie last year. The last 10 years have been a permanent long distance commute, and it's clear that would have continued but on a lower rate than the past.

I agree with the hassle of going for interviews and fighting through technical tests, what a pain. Nothing worse than being told at 5pm to write a test program by tomorrow morning please.

I think if you can find a company you feel comfortable, round the corner on 50K that sounds gr8.

Go for it...
                      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                      X