• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I am not cut out to be a contractor!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am not cut out to be a contractor!

I have been in the same place for 2 years and I like it here. It is 25 minute drive from my house, they are flexible with their permies as they are with contractors (WFH etc.), they are starting to use some new and interesting technologies, there is no real politics and the manager could not care less about reviews etc.

I don't want to go through the circuit of applications, interviews etc. I have two young children and I do not want a long commute away from them, Mrs MUN still has issues with her foot and I do not seem to have the warchest building knack (still don't really have a proper one).

Essentially, I want stability even if I get less money for it. They are starting to hire permies in the team to replace me etc. and that made me realise.

On Monday (once the next 3 month renewal is signed) I am going to ask whether they are interested in taking me on as a permie at the end of it.

I am a little worried about tax implications etc. and how much my life is going to change with the drop in money but other than that I really don't think I want to keep doing this at the moment.

*sigh* it all looked so easy at first!
    "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

It happens to us all. If at the end of the day you can negotiate a deal what compares to what you got as a contractor even better.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
      Essentially, I want stability even if I get less money for it. They are starting to hire permies in the team to replace me etc. and that made me realise.

On Monday (once the next 3 month renewal is signed) I am going to ask whether they are interested in taking me on as a permie at the end of it.
      Good luck with is - if that's what you want to do, then go for it and get the most out of the permie role you can
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

It is sometimes a good choice - especially looking at your personal circumstances.

There is less security in a permanent job these day but in reality if the company has a decent business plan and the senior management/execs are not fools then you are normally pretty secure.

And the fact you do not need to look for a contract every few months to ensure your kids do not have to eat Aldi beans every night is often a huge benefit!

Comment

I'm on my second permie job in a row. First time was more to do with necessity, but looking again last year and having seen nothing but boring sounding contracts bloody miles from home, but seemingly lots of good options for permiedom, I decided permie was the way. Short term it certainly seems like less money, but having had a few significant bench periods in my contracting career, I'm not sure I'm actually worse off in the long run.

So go for it.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I have been in the same place for 2 years and I like it here. It is 25 minute drive from my house, they are flexible with their permies as they are with contractors (WFH etc.), they are starting to use some new and interesting technologies, there is no real politics and the manager could not care less about reviews etc.

I don't want to go through the circuit of applications, interviews etc. I have two young children and I do not want a long commute away from them, Mrs MUN still has issues with her foot and I do not seem to have the warchest building knack (still don't really have a proper one).

I am a little worried about tax implications etc. and how much my life is going to change with the drop in money but other than that I really don't think I want to keep doing this at the moment.

*sigh* it all looked so easy at first!
            Originally posted by VectraMan View Post

I'm on my second permie job in a row. First time was more to do with necessity, but looking again last year and having seen nothing but boring sounding contracts bloody miles from home, but seemingly lots of good options for permiedom, I decided permie was the way. Short term it certainly seems like less money, but having had a few significant bench periods in my contracting career, I'm not sure I'm actually worse off in the long run.

So go for it.
            You guys are on the wrong forum:

http://www.permieuk.com/
            The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

It could be said contracting is a lifestyle choice. If that choice no longer supports your lifestyle and a permie offer would give the elements that are important to you then I say fill your boots...... you dirty ship jumping tax paying blacksheep.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                It could be said contracting is a lifestyle choice.
                The same could be said about noshing tramps, but the truth is you only do it to keep me in Babycham.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                  The same could be said about noshing tramps, but the truth is you only do it to cover me in 'Babycham'.
                  FTFY
                  "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

FTFY
                    I could find work for a nice looking girl like you.

Comment

Working...
                    X