• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Johnny Wilkinson

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Johnny Wilkinson

Is Johnny the greatest English Rugby player of all time?
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    He's good, but he's a back.

Jason Leonard or Martin Johnson. Mind you, Wilkinson often defended like a forward and he might have done even better for England if he'd just left a bit more of the heavy work to the heavy boys.

But on balance, yes. <hoping no other forwards see me saying that; I didn't say it out loud though boys>
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Decent kicker but never as good as Neil Jenkins was (yes I know hes Welsh). Johnny played for a dominant English side but Jenks played for a crap wales team and still managed to break records.
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        He's good, but he's a back.

Jason Leonard or Martin Johnson. Mind you, Wilkinson often defended like a forward and he might have done even better for England if he'd just left a bit more of the heavy work to the heavy boys.

But on balance, yes. <hoping no other forwards see me saying that; I didn't say it out loud though boys>
        Remember the sa fly half years ago? Naas botha? Never any chance of him getting injured tackling.
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
          Decent kicker but never as good as Neil Jenkins was (yes I know hes Welsh). Johnny played for a dominant English side but Jenks played for a crap wales team and still managed to break records.
          How many world cups/heineken cups did Jenkins win?

To be fair he won a Lions victory and Wilkinson did not but in terms of achievement he was not in Wilkinsons league
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

How many world cups/heineken cups did Jenkins win?

To be fair he won a Lions victory and Wilkinson did not but in terms of achievement he was not in Wilkinsons league
            That's not a wholly valid point. Jenkins played in a relatively weak Welsh team, whereas Wilkinson played in a very strong England team.

He had Dawson and Greenwood either side of him telling him what to do, and Neil Back in front. Without players of that calibre around him he was ordinary, just look back to 2011.

I thought he was England's best-ever kicker judging on his peak years and a decent tackler, but never their greatest player.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
              That's not a wholly valid point. Jenkins played in a relatively weak Welsh team, whereas Wilkinson played in a very strong England team.

He had Dawson and Greenwood either side of him telling him what to do, and Neil Back in front. Without players of that calibre around him he was ordinary, just look back to 2011.

I thought he was England's best-ever kicker from his peak years and a decent tackler, but never their greatest player.
              England were strong because of Wilkinson, because of his leadership which in recent years has brought the Toulon team together to form a very effective team. You could apply your Jenkins logic to any player but I am afraid that his great strength was to get the best our of the players around him just as much as how he played. There is also the matter of pressure and wilkinson showed that he could play under the most intense of pressure - something jenkins never got the opportunity to do.

Anyway I was not proposing Wilkinson as Englands greatest player so your points about Jenkins are irrelevant (or has he become an Englishman?)

Comment

England were strong because of Wilkinson, because of his leadership which in recent years has brought the Toulon team together to form a very effective team. You could apply your Jenkins logic to any player but I am afraid that his great strength was to get the best our of the players around him just as much as how he played. There is also the matter of pressure and wilkinson showed that he could play under the most intense of pressure - something jenkins never got the opportunity to do.

Anyway I was not proposing Wilkinson as Englands greatest player so your points about Jenkins are irrelevant (or has he become an Englishman?)
                You were asking whether Wilkinson was Englands greatest player hence my reply.

As for Jenkins, I was just replying to your point about him.

Comment

No
                  HTH

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                    You were asking whether Wilkinson was Englands greatest player hence my reply.

As for Jenkins, I was just replying to your point about him.
                    Typo FFS

Comment

Working...
                    X