• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ukip! Ukip! Ukip!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Why is that? There are two possibilities here:
    1. The UKIP=Racist bigots progaganda has been exposed as such
    2. The voters have spoken very clearly, by demonstrating they are racist bigots
    That a large number of Britons are racist bigots is not out of the question.

What the people who have voted for UKIP do not like is being called racist for challenging immigration policies of the establishment. Furthermore UKIP have made their position very clear which is that they will do everything they can to undermine the EU and get Britain out.

I noticed an earlier post sneering at the type of people who vote UKIP as being basically old people and losers. Two points here firstly that there are a lot of old people in the UK and the number is growing and "losers" tend to be those that I presume earn less than the well off contractors with their six figure earnings, their corporate (safe) customers (with their own ring fenced and protected markets) and their privilege to be able to work anywhere in the UK.

Of course the losers have spoken out and voted for UKIP
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

What really depresses me is the choice of leadership we have at present
      Was it ever any better? Maybe you are not as ancient as me but if you compare them with past leaders, the current lot don't seem all that bad.

A few that did seem ok, David Steel, John Smith, er, um, er. That's about it really. Sir Robert Peel was quite good too apparently but that was a bit before even my time.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Leaders used to have personality.

I think the Tories could do a lot worse than put Boris in charge. People like him - something the current lot seem to struggle with.

How about:

He was anti-Europe too IIRC.

Comment

Labour were very anti-Europe in those days. They were a working class Brits first party who were also against globalisation and international companies. Bit like Bob Crow. If you took out the anti minority stuff from the National Front election leaflets it was hard to tell them from the Labour Party leaflets.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
            What the people who have voted for UKIP do not like is being called racist for challenging immigration policies of the establishment. Furthermore UKIP have made their position very clear which is that they will do everything they can to undermine the EU and get Britain out.

I noticed an earlier post sneering at the type of people who vote UKIP as being basically old people and losers. Two points here firstly that there are a lot of old people in the UK and the number is growing and "losers" tend to be those that I presume earn less than the well off contractors with their six figure earnings, their corporate (safe) customers (with their own ring fenced and protected markets) and their privilege to be able to work anywhere in the UK.

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
            Leaders used to have personality.

I think the Tories could do a lot worse than put Boris in charge. People like him - something the current lot seem to struggle with.

He was anti-Europe too IIRC.
            Maybe thats why certain people like Boris:

Boris Johnson has described Ukip voters as peasants in revolt after Eurosceptic parties swept to victory across the union.

The London mayor painted a scene of "pitchfork-wielding populists" converging on Brussels "drunk on local hooch and chanting nationalist slogans and preparing to give the federalist machinery a good old kicking with their authentically folkloric clogs".

Writing in the Telegraph, he compared Eurosceptic parties, including Ukip, Dutch rightwing firebrands and Greek anti-capitalists, to people taking part in "a kind of peasants' revolt" or a "jacquerie" – a bloody uprising against the French nobility in 1358.
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
              Or maybe people are now becoming more racist which might account for the popularity of far right parties?
              Quite possibly, but anyone who professes to know is quite probably wrong.

Other countries do not have UKIP so if they want to protest the far right is a choice In fact, the far left got as much support across Europe as the far right. We have two IIRC, the EDF and the BNP. How many councils did they get control of? How many MEPs did they have elected? Surely, if there was such an upsurge of racism, the papers here would be telling a different story.

Being annoyed that there are not enough houses, social or otherwise and not enough school places for your children when you have been paying for everyone else's for years does not mean you are racist. This type of thing is the root of anxiety for many, not the sinister perspective that some would like to promote. Just think back to Gordon Brown's 'bigot' escapade. Was he wrong? Of course he was.

Comment

...and when the UK leaves the EU the Romanian gangs will leave the UK

New Norway gov opens way for begging ban - The Local

...a forlorn hope...

trouble is criminal gangs don't give a sh*te about immigration policies, they just disappear back to Romania for a few days and come back on the next train...

...and will the UK ban visitors.....I doubt it.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by tractor View Post
                  Quite possibly, but anyone who professes to know is quite probably wrong.

Other countries do not have UKIP so if they want to protest the far right is a choice In fact, the far left got as much support across Europe as the far right. We have two IIRC, the EDF and the BNP. How many councils did they get control of? How many MEPs did they have elected? Surely, if there was such an upsurge of racism, the papers here would be telling a different story.
                  Germany's AfD are reasonably similar although most of their core members seem to be 'intellectuals'
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                    Don't get me wrong: I fully understand and largely agree with the border management issues and anti-EU bureaucracy related stuff. That does not mean that UKIP represent a valid and electable solution, only that they represent a valid viewpoint of a lot of the country that the Westmonster village has chosen to ignore. I really hope that will change, and quickly.

But the UKIP vote - actually, let's be honest about it, the Farage vote since the rest of the party is largely invisible until they make some enormous fool of themselves and get binned - is a means to an end, in the same way that Salmond's idiot and hugely unfair referendum is merely a route to Devo Max.

What really depresses me is the choice of leadership we have at present - a detached PR-biased weakling, an incompetent and delusional fool in hock to his unelected paymasters, someone who changes his mind at a whim depending which way his own self-interest is blowing, a sham "man of the people" who much prefers good wine and Havanas to ciggies and a pint and a master politician whose only intention is to become the big fish in his own little pond by whatever means.

Sad, really, isn't it.
                    If UKIP forces the Tories to re-consider their positions and perhaps even resemble a small government party once more, they will have served their purpose. I am hoping all this chest thumping about not making a deal with UKIP is just so much hot air, and that they will see sense and seize the opportunity. I don't think they will be ousted by Labour, unless the damp rag leading it resigns and gives way to someone more competent, but there's always the risk that the electorate won't be fooled by the credit-driven recovery the Tories have engineered.

Regarding Boris and his cute little remarks, they're a sign that his party is failing to deliver. Yes, the "peasants" are revolting against out of touch dimwits whose three parties are only distinguishable by virtue of which group they want to bleed dry the most. So start delivering some pro-market reforms and more of the austerity stuff (applied to the government, however), Boris boy, and I will reconsider your party.

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post

Hey, I'm a contractor, and I don't trust any of the three establishment parties to keep their fingers off our income, especially with the class warfare nonsense they all like bandying about, particularly this myopic focus on the 1%, to which most politicians ironically belong... These are the people who brought us IR35, promised to abolish it and now seem to have forgotten all about it, or in Labour's case, promise to tighten the vise.
                    Last edited by Zero Liability; 26 May 2014, 20:12.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                      Why is that? There are two possibilities here:
                      1. The UKIP=Racist bigots progaganda has been exposed as such
                      2. The voters have spoken very clearly, by demonstrating they are racist bigots
                      That a large number of Britons are racist bigots is not out of the question.
                      Yes because the UK becoming an independent country like Australia and Canada with their managed immigration policies is so Nazi

Comment

Working...
                      X