• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I think I am going to cry

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well clearly oracle are seeing that the plain old java interface is useless and are giving it a reason to exist now.

Comment

I just got unbanned...

Minstrone - you are off your rocker.

Re default implementations - that's a good thing. Of course they should never have created such an abomination as interfaces to begin with and just given us proper multiple inheritance. But apparently it was for our own good (and nothing at all to do with it being a PITA to implement in the JVM).

I believe that it was introduced so that they could bolt on the new Streams API to the existing collections.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
        I drew the line at anonymous functions
        I assume that's a joke.

Comment

It's there so that they can add methods to existing interfaces without breaking exisiting implementations that don't implement the new methods.

It's an abomination.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

No. I think anonymous functions are a good idea in concept, but will be widely misused and will help coders produce even more unreadable bloated code. If you are writing a function and halfway through think you need an anonymous function ask yourself if your function is already doing to much.

Sent from my iMinion using Tapatalk
            Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
              It's there so that they can add methods to existing interfaces without breaking exisiting implementations that don't implement the new methods.
              Yeah. I think mainly Streams.

Originally posted by doodab View Post
              It's an abomination.
              Well it's definitely a hack, but interfaces always were a hack to begin with. Now interfaces are just crippled abstract classes, so I can sympathise with your position.

Comment

No. I think anonymous functions are a good idea in concept, but will be widely misused and will help coders produce even more unreadable bloated code. If you are writing a function and halfway through think you need an anonymous function ask yourself if your function is already doing to much.

Why do you keep going on about anonymous functions? What has that got to do with default implementations in interfaces?
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

It doesn't. It has to do with features of modern languages that I don't like.

Comment

I guess you don't approve of the new Lambdas then (unless that's what you meant - I was thinking you meant anonymous classes)

Comment

Lambdas. Yes. Hate them.

Comment

Working...
                      X