• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Boomed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boomed

My first boomed thread!

I've been on site at a client in York working on an MVC4/Umbraco project since 11th of June.

I originally spoke to this client back in March/April but politely declined due to having a better suited offer on the table at the time.

I had a phone call from the agent at the start of this month because the client were having problems with their current contractor who was on site. I was offered a 6 month contract and after speaking to the IT Director/CIO I was happy to accept the offer to start the following Wednesday.

I later found out that the contractor on site had taken 3 months to build a very simple MVC4/Umbraco project (user register, user login, logged in user is displayed some info from another system - very simple) and messed them around (didnt turned up 3 days in a row without explanation or notice).

So I turned up on site to find the project, unfinished and in an absolute mess (multiple reasons), code quality was very poor and had about 10 days to get something ready for a big deadline/launch the client was aiming for. So no pressure!

So a few days later the other contractor is terminated due to poor quality of delivery (and lack of delivery), a perm dev and I then carried on with with the project, we finished it, got it tested, accepted by the client and then put live before the deadline = one very happy client, IT Director and Marketing Manager

I've just been through the work in the pipeline with the IT Team this week and the client will be keeping me busy for the next 6 months+, including a rewrite of the web project we've just hacked together to get live, their public website, a Data Layer API, a revamp of their build/deployment strategy using Git and TeamCity as they currently deploy manually

So interesting times, a really nice atmosphere and team to work with, I've also found a nice hotel in York with a pool (but their closing for good at the end of next month - any recommendations would be great!) and after nearly 3 years of contracting, it's nice to have a client that appreciates the hours and work you put in to make sure they hit their deadlines for projects.

My first boom thread and a good one at that.

PS Working from my office next week too Need to stock up on snacks!

GE

Originally posted by garethevans1986 View Post
    My first boomed thread!

I've been on site at a client in York working on an MVC4/Umbraco project since 11th of June.

I originally spoke to this client back in March/April but politely declined due to having a better suited offer on the table at the time.

I had a phone call from the agent at the start of this month because the client were having problems with their current contractor who was on site. I was offered a 6 month contract and after speaking to the IT Director/CIO I was happy to accept the offer to start the following Wednesday.

I later found out that the contractor on site had taken 3 months to build a very simple MVC4/Umbraco project (user register, user login, logged in user is displayed some info from another system - very simple) and messed them around (didnt turned up 3 days in a row without explanation or notice).

So I turned up on site to find the project, unfinished and in an absolute mess (multiple reasons), code quality was very poor and had about 10 days to get something ready for a big deadline/launch the client was aiming for. So no pressure!

So a few days later the other contractor is terminated due to poor quality of delivery (and lack of delivery), a perm dev and I then carried on with with the project, we finished it, got it tested, accepted by the client and then put live before the deadline = one very happy client, IT Director and Marketing Manager

I've just been through the work in the pipeline with the IT Team this week and the client will be keeping me busy for the next 6 months+, including a rewrite of the web project we've just hacked together to get live, their public website, a Data Layer API, a revamp of their build/deployment strategy using Git and TeamCity as they currently deploy manually

So interesting times, a really nice atmosphere and team to work with, I've also found a nice hotel in York with a pool (but their closing for good at the end of next month - any recommendations would be great!) and after nearly 3 years of contracting, it's nice to have a client that appreciates the hours and work you put in to make sure they hit their deadlines for projects.

PS Working from my office next week too Need to stock up on snacks!

GE
    I'm not reading all that but am guessing it's good, so ******* DING DONG!

And
    The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Originally posted by garethevans1986 View Post

Comment

A lot more info than we usually get, but I'm not saying that's a bad thing - in fact, if you can share the peculiar nightmare scenarios clients throw at you without betraying any confidences, it's good for everyone: forewarned is forearmed

Congratulations!

Comment

Well done. It makes a change from reading a suity thread to hear of competence and ability.

Comment

This is how you win work, this is real business.

Well done mate.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
              This is how you win work, this is real business.

Well done mate.
              +1

Comment

Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Thanks everybody....and yes makes a change from the "Im thinking of going contracting..." or "I want to terminate my contract by my manager says I cant" type threads!

GE

Comment

Nice to see that good work gets rewarded.
                    "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Working...
                    X