• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should widows lose their pension if they re-marry?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    And husbands?

IMO, it's right that the bereaved spouse/civil partner of a forces person killed on duty (as opposed to keeling over from too many burgers) gets a good pension, and should keep that pension regardless of whether they get a new partner.
    as the deceased, along with husbands (which was all the widows pension covered).

Agree it should be for life and irrespective of remarrying. Its a throwback that it did.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
      1>

2> Women aren't allowed to serve in combat roles, so there's not really any need for a war-wodower's pension.
      This is a long way from accurate - they can't be infanteers (yet) but they absolutely do serve in front line roles. Even more so in modern warfare where the front line is hard to define. Medics, engineers and drivers are all very much exposed while on the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
        This is a long way from accurate - they can't be infanteers (yet) but they absolutely do serve in front line roles. Even more so in modern warfare where the front line is hard to define. Medics, engineers and drivers are all very much exposed while on the ground.
        Your definition of combat role differs from that of the Uk armed forces.

Comment

Your definition of combat role differs from that of the Uk armed forces.
          No it doesn't, because I never said combat role - I said front line roles. You're correct in that women aren't allowed to serve in what the army define as "combat roles", but to make the conclusion that "there's not really any need for a war-widower's pension." is beyond ludicrous.

While the army may not count it as a teeth arm, I'd suggest doing top cover on a convoy through Helmand is a pretty dangerous way to spend an afternoon. Or what about being mortared? Or giving first aid while in open ground and under enemy fire? Contact is contact, no matter what your cap badge says you are.
          Last edited by vwdan; 30 June 2014, 13:23.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
            No it doesn't, because I never said combat role - I said front line roles. You're correct in that women aren't allowed to serve in what the army define as "combat roles", but to make the conclusion that "there's not really any need for a war-widower's pension." is beyond ludicrous.

While the army may not count it as a teeth arm, I'd suggest doing top cover on a convoy through Helmand is a pretty dangerous way to spend an afternoon. Or what about being mortared? Or giving first aid while in open ground and under enemy fire? Contact is contact, no matter what your cap badge says you are.

Well as far as I'm aware, there is a war widower's pension too. But the difference between a support role & a combat role is enormous when it comes to danger - combat soldiers go out on fighting patrols, etc, looking to pick a fight (people die working in supermarkets, but it would be much more likely to be an incentive to be offered some kind of pension if they instead worked down a mine or something).

It's all just part of the deal to incentivize people into taking a job. When risking your life, knowing that your partner will be taken care of might make a big difference.

I'm not a woman, but I'll still get a payout should my other half croak. It all comes down to planning - which is what insurance is all about.

This may well be for the benefit of VectraMan, or whoever asked the 21st century woman related question.

Comment

Well as far as I'm aware, there is a war widower's pension too. But the difference between a support role & a combat role is enormous when it comes to danger - combat soldiers go out on fighting patrols, etc, looking to pick a fight (people die working in supermarkets, but it would be much more likely to be an incentive to be offered some kind of pension if they instead worked down a mine or something).

It's all just part of the deal to incentivize people into taking a job. When risking your life, knowing that your partner will be taken care of might make a big difference.

I'm not a woman, but I'll still get a payout should my other half croak. It all comes down to planning - which is what insurance is all about.

This may well be for the benefit of VectraMan, or whoever asked the 21st century woman related question.
              If you're right, and women aren't on danger in the battlefield, then providing a widower's pension for the husbands of women killed on active duty won't cost anything, so what's the issue?

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                If you're right, and women aren't on danger in the battlefield, then providing a widower's pension for the husbands of women killed on active duty won't cost anything, so what's the issue?
                I don't think I ever suggested that they weren't in danger on the battlefield. In fact I did suggest that they were even in danger in the supermarket.

Comment

they already provide a death in service pension for serving women and civil partners. see link.

This is about should 'the little woman' (or man) lose their pension if they remarry?

frankly I don't think so.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                    they already provide a death in service pension for serving women and civil partners. see link.

This is about should 'the little woman' (or man) lose their pension if they remarry?

frankly I don't think so.
                    I think they should.

They will not necessarily marry another person in the armed forces so they can go and get a job.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Is this to apply retrospectively? Or just going forwards for new recruits? If it's the latter then who cares. If it's applied retrospectively it might feel a bit fraudulent.

Comment

Working...
                      X