COP8 Question COP8 Question
Posts 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: COP8 Question

Still gathering requirements...

Default COP8 Question

Hi

Quick question. Tax year 05/06. Received the COP8 letter dated April 2008. Is it correct that HMRC only have 1 year after the filing deadline ( Jan 2007) in which to open a COP8?

Thanks

Godlike

Quote Originally Posted by FTTM View Post
    Hi

Quick question. Tax year 05/06. Received the COP8 letter dated April 2008. Is it correct that HMRC only have 1 year after the filing deadline ( Jan 2007) in which to open a COP8?

Thanks
    Yes.

Unless that April 2008 letter cites "discovery" then it's invalid.

More time posting than coding

Quote Originally Posted by FTTM View Post
    Hi

Thanks
    This has been covered before so the following is brief.

HMRC has 1 year from the normal return filing date to open an enquiry.

If the return is late, they have 18 months from the later of the date of submission or the usual enquiry date.

The presence of a COP8 notice indicates that HMRC is using its powers of "discovery" (section 29 TMA 1970) and if so, they have 4 years in which to make an assessment or give notice of making an assessment.

This is dependent upon personal circumstances and you should take professional advice.
    Last edited by Rob79; 20th November 2014 at 13:07. Reason: senior moment

Nervous Newbie

Default cop8

So Rob,
    are you saying there are still time limits of sort after a cop8.
    I had cop8 notices 6 and 7 years ago and not a single word or correspondence since until the settlement letter in July. Should I have had an assessment or notice of assessment within that time?

Still gathering requirements...

Good question; I'm in exactly the same boat. COP8 enquiry letters from 6+ years ago and nothing since except for the letter that came mid-year. No assessment figure and nothing showing on my Self Assessment log-in page.

Should post faster

Quote Originally Posted by bandemelbs View Post
    Good question; I'm in exactly the same boat. COP8 enquiry letters from 6+ years ago and nothing since except for the letter that came mid-year. No assessment figure and nothing showing on my Self Assessment log-in page.
    Once HMRC have issued a COP8 within Discovery time limits, they have no time limits on making their next move

More time posting than coding

Quote Originally Posted by vern19 View Post
    Once HMRC have issued a COP8 within Discovery time limits, they have no time limits on making their next move
    I'd broadly agree with this.