• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Direct recovery of debt DRD - a dangerous step

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Direct recovery of debt DRD - a dangerous step

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/g...-recover-debts

This is very worrying.

Most of the professional bodies are against this even with the "stronger safeguards" in place because HMRC makes too many mistakes.

I predict a JR in due course but otherwise the more noise with the politicians on this the better. there is an online petition I believe which I'll dig out a link for.

Very worrying indeed!

I'm pretty sure the vast majority of the general public are blissfully unaware that HMRC will soon be able to raid their bank accounts for as little as £1000. Yes there are restrictions, but how long will it be before the £5000 balance is reduced, or that they introduce legislation to take, for example, mortgage equity into account whilst determining what constitutes £5000 left "in all accounts" allowing them to effectively clean out someone's current account. And Jo and Josephine Public still won't have a clue that it's all going on and it will be trapping them very soon.

Like a few on here I should imagine, I have had my head in the clouds on PAYE for the past 8 years, unaware of all the ToAA, Spirit of the Law, GAAR, APN stuff going on in the background until I got my settlement opportunity letter in July. It shocked me at how much reactive legislation has been introduced in such a short space of time.

Needless to say I will be fighting it whole-heartedly, and to the bitter end whenever and wherever that may be.

That aside, having been on PAYE for 16years, IR35 for 6 years and in a "Scheme" for 2 1/2 years, never having been unemployed or claimed any benefits whatsoever, I'm looking forward to the "pay my fair share of tax" conversation with the HMRC recovery department!

Thank you Rob79 for all your insightful posts, and apologies for intruding and ranting on this one, you have been fantastically helpful (even though you've not known it!)

Comment

Withdraw the proposals to introduce direct recovery of tax debts from taxpayers

If you've not done so yet, please go here and sign the petition.

Comment

Everyone should sign. Blood was shed to get freedoms we enjoy and this bunch or power grabbers are taking it all away one at a time.

Comment

Working...
        X