• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC Enquiries: Bedouin/Redstone

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As currently it's a request for information I'll probably comply, provide the docs and the stock question answers provided be bedouin and see what materialises. I'm fortunate enough that if it is pursued more aggressively after that I can pay up and leave it there but I suspect I'm in the minority, most would have payments for beyond the manageable to contend with

Comment

bedouin (redstone), I have discussed this with bedouin (Michelle booth) who have provided a stock response form to reply with. Again reiterating their stance that they are fully hmrc compliant

Don't believe the latter is true because one/some/all of the former said it. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by PeterF View Post
        bedouin (redstone), I have discussed this with bedouin (Michelle booth) who have provided a stock response form to reply with. Again reiterating their stance that they are fully hmrc compliant

Don't believe the latter is true because one/some/all of the former said it. Seriously.
        Bedouin say it is. HMRC say it isn't.
        At some point a court, or the GAAR, will take a view, until then who knows.

The reality is HMRC are on the front foot and will scare people into settling. It is possible that your scheme is effective - after all you believed it to be so when you joined, so you'll need patience and some faith in your supplier (which they may not warrant).

Comment

Fully agree, it could be long drawn out affair hence the reason I am in 2 minds about letting bedouin play their hand or pro actively settle

Comment

What hand is it you think they might play? The same one Edge did? Something different? Do you think Bedouin/Redstone/Booth are being completely open and honest with you?

Comment

Absolutely not, I will press them further on their intention (or not) to fight the case on behalf of their clients however assume that I will be left to fight my own corner if I choose not to pursue settlement

Comment

Right. This has turned into a general chit-chat about EBT schemes.

I'm going to remove all non-bedouin posts to another generic EBT thread.

Do NOT slap your gums in here again unless it's Bedouin/Redstone related.
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by jbryce View Post
                  Bedouin say it is. HMRC say it isn't.
                  At some point a court, or the GAAR, will take a view, until then who knows.

The reality is HMRC are on the front foot and will scare people into settling. It is possible that your scheme is effective - after all you believed it to be so when you joined, so you'll need patience and some faith in your supplier (which they may not warrant).
                  This is not actually correct... HMRC have not said any such thing at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by porrker View Post
                    This is not actually correct... HMRC have not said any such thing at this point.
                    In which case I will rephrase:
                    Bedouin say it is a valid avoidance vehicle. HMRC are investigating users of the scheme to see if additional tax is due. If they choose to pursue it, then at some point a court, or the GAAR, will take a view, until then who knows.

At the moment, the one group of individuals who understand your scheme is the suppliers.

Comment

Originally posted by jbryce View Post
                      In which case I will rephrase:
                      Bedouin say it is a valid avoidance vehicle. HMRC are investigating users of the scheme to see if additional tax is due. If they choose to pursue it, then at some point a court, or the GAAR, will take a view, until then who knows.

At the moment, the one group of individuals who understand your scheme is the suppliers.
                      I agree with you. HMRC are inquiring about my employment details form 2012 to 2013. Got the standard reply letter from Michelle, which my accountant is now sending back to HMRC. Michelle has said I have nothing to worry about. Sure, that's easy for her to say. I have been having sleepless nights thinking of this. I have to wait till the New Year for a response from HMRC. Worst case situation, my accountant says I will have to pay tax on my loan payments, with a possibility of interest plus penalties too. I have not got the money to pay back. I am an ad hoc off shore worker, I do not know when I am going to work next. In the last year I have worked for five different off shore companies, all P.A.Y.E. Got told by Bedouin when I signed up everything is legal and compliant with HMRC. Beside the loan is only between myself and Bedouin/Redstone.

Guess we will all have to wait, still feel stressed out.

Comment

Working...
                      X