• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC Enquiries: Bedouin/Redstone

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by James1234 View Post
    Hi all

So what are the updates on this. The legislation has expressed that 3rd party loans are out of scope from 2010 to 2016 if no investigation and if you fully disclosed.

Last time I spoke to redstone via email they advised me that the scheme I was on with Bedouin was not 3rd party and intact a direct loan therefore the loan charge is out of scope. However this doesnt remove the fact HMRC still calculate I owe them for years 2010 - 2013.

I called HMRC today and told them them that I was not paid via a trust or 3rd party and if they still think I'm in scope that I would fall in to the category that no enquiry or investigation was made and that I have been fully cooperating with them and that both myself and HMRC have agreed to suspend until further notice. This whole loan charge though seems to have got me caught up in it. Anyone else in the same boat ?
    Yes. I was with Redstone for 5 years. Left 2015 after getting my first APN. HMRC believe the tax is due. Simply put if they can't apply the loan charge they wil still come after you expecting you to settle. You should get advice.

Comment

If you have closed years, with non 3rd-party loans, then it's worth arguing that they are outwith the LC.

For open years, as you say, removing the LC still leaves the underlying tax dispute, which means you'll probably have to cough up eventually anyway.
      Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
        If you have closed years, with non 3rd-party loans, then it's worth arguing that they are outwith the LC.

For open years, as you say, removing the LC still leaves the underlying tax dispute, which means you'll probably have to cough up eventually anyway.
        if they were with Redstone then they were never disclosed on a SATR. So i think that would class them as Open ?

Comment

Originally posted by lowpaidworker View Post
          if they were with Redstone then they were never disclosed on a SATR. So i think that would class them as Open ?
          No.

Open means that HMRC has raised an enquiry.

That might be a letter mentioning section 9a TMA 1970 or a discovery assessment (section 29).

HMRC may argue that a less formal notice may also open an enquiry - to be debated in Tribunal.
          Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

As webberg says, no.

However, you mentioned that you got APNs, which presumably you had to pay? HMRC can only issue APNs against open years, which does suggest that they previously opened your years.
            Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

As webberg says, no.

However, you mentioned that you got APNs, which presumably you had to pay? HMRC can only issue APNs against open years, which does suggest that they previously opened your years.
              No that was an EBT through Edge. They issued an APN in 2015 post Rangers for a tax year 09/10 and 10/11 (to Dec 10). From Dec 10 everything moved employer loans. From 2011 Edge became Redstone.

And I said once i got the APN in 2015 I moved away from Redstone. Damage done by then as i have 4 years... maybe open maybe not. Per GW comment above.

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
                No.

Open means that HMRC has raised an enquiry.

That might be a letter mentioning section 9a TMA 1970 or a discovery assessment (section 29).

HMRC may argue that a less formal notice may also open an enquiry - to be debated in Tribunal.
                So 2011 HMRC wrote to me saying no need to do a SATR.

In 2015 they asked me to SATR for the years they told me not too. After each histrocal SATR they then issued the section 9a TMA 1970 or a discovery assessment (section 29).

Comment

In 2015 they asked me to SATR for the years they told me not too. After each histrocal SATR they then issued the section 9a TMA 1970 or a discovery assessment (section 29).
                  Then it sounds like they're all open.

Comment

Then it sounds like they're all open.
                    Agree with this. The DAs make them open.

Comment

Originally posted by NeedTheSunshine View Post
                      Agree with this. The DAs make them open.
                      Correct.

However whether the DA (s29) is valid or not is a separate question.
                      Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Working...
                      X