• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Poll - could you afford to pay APNs?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by costo View Post
    Is the only way I can possibly afford,

However a word of warning for those who do need to remortgage, lenders will not loan money if the reason is to pay a HMRC debt (or any debt for that matter). So if you wait until the actual APN comes in to get the mortgage and you give another reason (e.g. to buy a 2nd property, extension) you are technically committing mortgage fraud (e.g. giving a false reason for asking for the money).

If however you do so before hand (as technically there is no debt at this point) you could do so without technically committing mortgage fraud as once you have the money its up to you on how to use it.

Other option is to take a commercial loan, but thats way more expensive..

My point - be pro-active and start looking at mortgages now rather than waiting for a APN to roll in, having an offset mortgage can effectively stop you paying interest on the extra funds until you need it.
    If you borrow the money and give a reason for that borrowing and then spend it on something else you are technically committing mortgage fraud. To avoid that you would need to use the money for the purposes for which you stated on your application and then realise it as an asset. For example you would need to purchase the Buy To Let and then subsequently sell it. In some ways this is a more efficient form of tax credit anyway.
    This is the position of two mortgage lenders that I know of.

Comment

Third option for the poll

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
      If you were issued APNs in 2015 could you afford to pay them.
      Maybe we should have a third option, who has PAID!!

Comment

Originally posted by happychap View Post
        Maybe we should have a third option, who has PAID!!
        As far as I'm aware no contractors have received APNs yet.

The only people who have had APNs are wealthy individuals who used film schemes and the like. HMRC has gone for the easier, and more lucrative, targets to start with. People they know probably won't have any difficulty paying.
        Last edited by DonkeyRhubarb; 12 January 2015, 12:07.

Comment

Not a chance

Given that only 0.00006 of the 65,000 have responded one can only assume that most can afford to pay - or is it the "I'll just pretend it's not happening and it'll all go away" routine?

I will never be able to pay not even with extended TTP.

Loans to pay this off are a bad idea unless the amount is small.
          Join Big Group - don't let them get away with it
          http://www.wttbiggroup.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by flamel View Post
            Given that only 0.00006 of the 65,000 have responded one can only assume that most can afford to pay
            Yep, that's how HMRC would spin it.

"We are only aware of 15 individuals who claim they would have any difficulty paying APNs"

Comment

Also majority of 65000 have still their heads under sand. Until the APNs start hitting they will ignore and then ..... Bang! It's going to be a very bad time for a lot of us especially
              The unaware ones.

Comment

I agree with the heads in sand comments. I work with a couple of contractors who are STILL on these schemes, despite receiving COP8's etc.... - Madness !!
                STRENGTH - "A river cuts through rock not because of its power, but its persistence"

Comment

Apparently even wealthy footballers are struggling to pay APNs

Footballers who once earned millions face penury over tax demands | Football | The Guardian

Comment

With footballer facing this plight imagine what would happen to normal it contractors?

And if HMRC lose will they have to compensate for this mess? I hope justice prevails and HMRC will be stopped from being a dictator.

Comment

Originally posted by StrengthInNumbers View Post
                      With footballer facing this plight imagine what would happen to normal it contractors?
                      Footballers probably only put a portion of their net worth into these investment schemes.

Contractors put 100% of their annual income through the schemes, year after year. Some will have savings and assets to cover their liabilities. Many will not.

Forgive the pun, but going after contractors will be an entirely different ball game.

Comment

Working...
                      X