• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Calculating Potential APN

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
    Bottom line.

The tax stated in the APN should be the same as in any previous assessments.

There are no deals/discounts for EBTs.
    This is absolutely true.

The only way you'll pay less is after they have distrained your assets, skinned you alive, taken the shirt off your back (and your dependents) until there's nothing left to take. Afterwards they will demand a percentage of your earnings until you die. After death they will impose IHT on anything they've forgotten about so your ancestors can remember HMRC.

After that, if there is still an outstanding balance, you can say you got away with it or got a "deal".
    Join Big Group - don't let them get away with it
    http://www.wttbiggroup.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
      As has been observed above, the APN is for the tax in dispute.

HMRC cannot charge interest and penalties without there being some form of appeal process as that would not be legal. The APN regime is a way of getting the cash without the danger that the prols might revolt.

Only when the final tax position has been settled (5 years from now if you're lucky) can interest etc be calculated. Penalty depends on behaviour, not tax liability.
      The APN is likely to be based on the amount of the loan you received x your marginal rate of tax. There is ample evidence that HMRC does not have enough data to make an accurate assessment and that might allow you to delay the amount payable.
      Would it be better to dispute the amount now or when the APN arrives?

Comment

Originally posted by lilikins1 View Post
        Lilikins1, I think the problem with APN's is that you can't dispute them. Once issued you have 90 days to pay. Period

You have to pay first!

Failure to pay results in penalties.

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by lilikins1 View Post
          Until the APN arrives, the only way to "dispute" the tax is to get into a discussion with HMRC.

A representation against an APN can be made on various grounds and I have seen some that dispute the calculation of the "asserted advantage". I can't say I see much merit in that and HMRC tends to dismiss that argument.

In the case of an EBT loan scheme can the tax in dispute be anything other than tax at your marginal rate on the loan value? Probably not in HMRC's eyes.

You also need to think carefully about outcomes in a dispute.

Those providers who are supporting their users appear to be going for the position that either the scheme works (and there is no taxable income) or it doesn't (and it's all taxable). It's a digital option and it's unclear whether they are looking at alternative analysis which may leave some of the loan as taxable income?

So you get an APN and say "no tax due". HMRC say "yes there is" = tax on loan.

If instead you have some alternative that says "it might be taxable in your eyes but this alternative analysis says that x% might be taxable, would that have a better chance of reducing APN and eventually final settlement?

Don't know.
          Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by cliffordthedog View Post
            Lilikins1, I think the problem with APN's is that you can't dispute them. Once issued you have 90 days to pay. Period

You have to pay first!

Failure to pay results in penalties.

Regards
            You can dispute the amount. This one of the legitimate grounds for contesting an APN.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
              You can dispute the amount. This one of the legitimate grounds for contesting an APN.
              Also remember (if my memory serves me correct) you only have 30 Days to dispute the amount and YOU have to give HMRC a valid reason why, with supporting information. Once the 30 days is up, the APN is still due within the next 90 days and either the original amount has to be paid, or the newly agreed amount.
              STRENGTH - "A river cuts through rock not because of its power, but its persistence"

Comment

Originally posted by regron View Post
                Also remember (if my memory serves me correct) you only have 30 Days to dispute the amount and YOU have to give HMRC a valid reason why, with supporting information. Once the 30 days is up, the APN is still due within the next 90 days and either the original amount has to be paid, or the newly agreed amount.
                30 days?

The leaflets seem to back up the legislation which says that tax is due 90 days from issue and that if you make a representation within that 90 day period, the demand is stood over until HMRC respond. Once you have that response then the tax is due on the later of 30 days from response or original due date.

Just be aware that it's 30 days from when HMRC date their letter. You will lose at least 8 days of that because HMRC insist on sending things out second class post.
                Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
                  30 days?

The leaflets seem to back up the legislation which says that tax is due 90 days from issue and that if you make a representation within that 90 day period, the demand is stood over until HMRC respond. Once you have that response then the tax is due on the later of 30 days from response or original due date.

Just be aware that it's 30 days from when HMRC date their letter. You will lose at least 8 days of that because HMRC insist on sending things out second class post.
                  Yep, I can see exactly how I confused things there. Put much better than me webberg, thanks
                  STRENGTH - "A river cuts through rock not because of its power, but its persistence"

Comment

Working...
                  X