BIG GROUP BIG GROUP - Page 13
Page 13 of 160 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast
Posts 121 to 130 of 1591

Thread: BIG GROUP

  1. #121

    Still gathering requirements...


    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    31

    Default

    Please count me in.

    I work in the City so would be able to pop along to any meeting.

  2. #122

    Super poster


    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    WTT Consulting Ltd - London and online
    Posts
    2,758

    Default Statistics

    The impending actions are going to rely upon a lot of numbers.

    In particular one hurdle to overcome is as follows:

    HMRC has identified a "tax gap". In their published papers it's presently around £35bn. Of that the "informal economy ) is £7bn. The avoidance part of also around that value.

    If a technical argument is found that is a knock out blow that cannot be resisted by HMRC then they will have to handle the fall out of their own PR. They will also come under the hammer from Parliament for getting the sums wrong as I suspect the parties of all colours are banking on this number arriving.

    More likely a technical argument arises that is more grey than white, i.e. good chance but not a killer blow.

    In that event it would pay us to help HMRC explain the shortfall in the £7bn avoidance pot both internally and externally. (You can imagine the furore that would arise if HMRC just "gave up" this sort of value).

    That help I think falls into a few areas.

    One is to examine the numbers in the Red Book (HMG's lies - sorry - statistics that support each Budget) and to find ways in which some tax from avoidance can be not collected without damaging the overall picture.

    Another is to press for HMRC action against the global firms.

    Another is to point to other areas of the tax code that are regularly abused (EIS).

    It all however comes down to managing that message about "contractors are not liable for £1bn (or whatever) of the £7bn and therefore not collecting it will do no harm because xxxxx can just sell more coffee."

    Do we have any budding statisticians out there who want to take on the Red Book and HMG numbers?

  3. #123

    Still gathering requirements...


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    45

    Default Non IT sectors

    Quote Originally Posted by DotasScandal View Post
    I agree! But surely we won't meet them on Contractor UK... How could we reach out to the non-IT sectors?
    I am not an IT contractor and came across this forum when I got my first Discovery Assessment from HMRC and started to do some research into the situation. I guess IT contractors account for a lot of people on here, but the site is called Contractor UK not ITContractor UK.

    I guess we could look at where scheme providers (umbrella ones) advertise, e.g. The Salary Calculator - 2015 / 2016 Tax Calculator and recruitment websites? and see if there is a way of advertising/linking to them?

  4. #124

    Still gathering requirements...


    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
    I am not an IT contractor and came across this forum when I got my first Discovery Assessment from HMRC and started to do some research into the situation. I guess IT contractors account for a lot of people on here, but the site is called Contractor UK not ITContractor UK.

    I guess we could look at where scheme providers (umbrella ones) advertise, e.g. The Salary Calculator - 2015 / 2016 Tax Calculator and recruitment websites? and see if there is a way of advertising/linking to them?
    Good point Penguin. Can also try social media!

  5. #125

    Still gathering requirements...


    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    79

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by webberg View Post
    HMRC has identified a "tax gap". In their published papers it's presently around £35bn. Of that the "informal economy ) is £7bn. The avoidance part of also around that value
    I had a look at their tax gap stats a while ago and I've always wondered if they are total figures or per annum figures?

    If it's the former then for £7 billion, £1 billion a year, peanuts in the grand scheme of things, is it really worth them risking the £40k my APN is going to be for when I currently pay just over £20k pa by PAYE every year. If they corner me with an unreasonable TTP I'll quit my job and go on the dole, I'll be no worse off, and they'll get nothing whatsoever.

    If it's the latter I've been permie and PAYE for the past seven years so I'm not actually included in that figure anyway and yet they're still after me!

    And there will be many more out there just like me ...

  6. #126

    Contractor Among Contractors

    DotasScandal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    1,133

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
    I guess IT contractors account for a lot of people on here, but the site is called Contractor UK not ITContractor UK.
    I'd say a good 95%. CUK's headline is this:"Contractor UK is home to the UK's IT contracting community."

  7. #127

    Super poster


    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    WTT Consulting Ltd - London and online
    Posts
    2,758

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DotasScandal View Post
    I'd say a good 95%. CUK's headline is this:"Contractor UK is home to the UK's IT contracting community."
    There are publications for other sectors and BIG GROUP will be buying space to advertise in them.

    however social media, blogs, local press, notice on the board in big companies, chat in a pub, national press (talking to some journo's next week) etc. try them all.

  8. #128

    Contractor Among Contractors

    DotasScandal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    1,133

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by webberg View Post
    There are publications for other sectors and BIG GROUP will be buying space to advertise in them.

    however social media, blogs, local press, notice on the board in big companies, chat in a pub, national press (talking to some journo's next week) etc. try them all.
    Exactly. All members should explore all possible avenues (and, dare I say, the more offline, the better)
    We can reach far if we leverage our numbers and personal networks.

  9. #129

    More time posting than coding


    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    233

    Default BIG GROUP Twitter

    I've set up a twitter account @BIGGROUP2 and pointed the url back to this thread (is that allowed?) I'll do a search on apn this afternoon and see if I can find any people on there.

  10. #130

    Still gathering requirements...


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DotasScandal View Post
    I'd say a good 95%. CUK's headline is this:"Contractor UK is home to the UK's IT contracting community."
    True!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •