• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC cranking up the time machine again ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMRC cranking up the time machine again ...

F1's Ecclestone in legal challenge over £1bn tax move - BBC News

obviously we don't know the full facts of the case so the BBC may have put a slant on it, but do we think there's any benefit in collating all these kind of stories in one thread for future reference? Not so we can bemoan our plight, it does absolutely stink, but with so many of them being reported these days there may be the odd little gem / decision in the future from a story now that could assist in some way (not trying to step on anyones toes, just a thought)...

Oops

That went in the wrong section!!! Any chance of getting this moved into HMRC Scheme Enquiries please?

Comment

So nothing to do with an agreed settlement in 2008 where he said the trust's funds were completely out of his control then two years later uses them to pay a personal debt then...?
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
        So nothing to do with an agreed settlement in 2008 where he said the trust's funds were completely out of his control then two years later uses them to pay a personal debt then...?
        Absolutely agree with you there, I wasn't entirely trying to comment on the case (although I will concede my thread title does suggest I am).

Comment

F'ing disgusting, targeting an old man. Target drug smugglers and what not for goodness sakes!!!!

Comment

Looks to me as though some information came out of the bribery case in Germany (thus negating the whole point of paying the bribe) that caused HMRC to review the position.

They seem to be basing the re-opening of the settlement on the fact that not everything was disclosed. One of the key terms of any settlement is full disclosure.

Whilst I'm sure he can afford the best lawyers, I'm backing HMRC on this one.
            Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
              F1's Ecclestone in legal challenge over £1bn tax move - BBC News

obviously we don't know the full facts of the case so the BBC may have put a slant on it, but do we think there's any benefit in collating all these kind of stories in one thread for future reference? Not so we can bemoan our plight, it does absolutely stink, but with so many of them being reported these days there may be the odd little gem / decision in the future from a story now that could assist in some way (not trying to step on anyones toes, just a thought)...
              Judge Parker is on the case - poor Bernie doesn't stand a chance.
              'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
              Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

I didn't explain myself very well :-) There are quite a few high profile tax stories that have been linked in various threads (and many more to come no doubt). They come in, are fashionable for five minutes, then go away. Is it possible that some of these stories might provide some leverage going forward and could be worth keeping a track of? Bernie's case as an example. The circumstances are different to scheme enquiries of course but if, say in 16 months time HMRC agree to a £250 million settlement it would be reported as such on the BBC website. We'd have all forgotten HMRC had originally wanted £1Bn off him. Reduced settlement?!? Did we ever get to the bottom of George Osborne encouraging tax avoidance live on radio? That kind of thing ... Like I said, just a thought :-)

Comment

Working...
                X