Tax and Morals Tax and Morals
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Tax and Morals

  1. #1

    Super poster


    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    WTT Consulting Ltd - London and online
    Posts
    3,723

    Default Tax and Morals

    The below is not mine but an extract from a speech by Jolyon Maugham.

    I offer it at a view from a rising star in the tax world and one who is starting to represent HMRC in more cases as it may be that he has political ambition in due course.

    A couple of asides: first, I do understand that some (possibly many) of you won’t accept there’s any morality in tax. In other words that there’s a perfect alignment between tax law and morality: the fact that something is legal makes it moral. You will appreciate I don’t agree. But perhaps more importantly, I don’t think it’s not a winnable argument with the public. It’s the equivalent of shouting at the telly – it may make you feel better but you should proceed from the premise you will accomplish no more than short term relief.
    Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

    (No, me neither).

  2. #2

    I Am Legend


    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    108,496

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by webberg View Post
    The below is not mine but an extract from a speech by Jolyon Maugham.

    I offer it at a view from a rising star in the tax world and one who is starting to represent HMRC in more cases as it may be that he has political ambition in due course.

    A couple of asides: first, I do understand that some (possibly many) of you won’t accept there’s any morality in tax. In other words that there’s a perfect alignment between tax law and morality: the fact that something is legal makes it moral. You will appreciate I don’t agree. But perhaps more importantly, I don’t think it’s not a winnable argument with the public. It’s the equivalent of shouting at the telly – it may make you feel better but you should proceed from the premise you will accomplish no more than short term relief.
    Sounds like he would make a good politician. I have no idea what he said at all.

    Maybe he should comments on the morality of retrospective tax legislation? Actually maybe not - I would get more sense asking in general....

  3. #3

    Super poster


    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    WTT Consulting Ltd - London and online
    Posts
    3,723

    Default

    I did make a comment on his blog that morality in taxation is very hard to pin down.

    I suggested in particular that it varies by time and the need for the nation to fill the coffers.

    Given his political shade, I'm anticipating a debate.
    Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

    (No, me neither).

  4. #4

    More time posting than coding


    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    409

    Default

    He is the chap who suggested now the election is out of the way and won. Maybe it is time to discuss more realistic settlements. Something which the BG is hoping to do. Would it have any harm pointing the BG and its aims out to him ?

  5. #5

    Contractor Among Contractors

    DotasScandal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    1,133

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Sounds like he would make a good politician. I have no idea what he said at all.
    Maybe he should comments on the morality of retrospective tax legislation? Actually maybe not - I would get more sense asking in general....
    This.
    It would be nice to ask about the morality of retrospective legislation.
    And the morality of crushing the smallest and weakest while pretending to hit the fat cats.
    Etc etc etc

    Politicians (actual and wannabees) never address the REAL topics.

  6. #6

    I Am Legend


    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    108,496

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DotasScandal View Post
    This.
    It would be nice to ask about the morality of retrospective legislation.
    And the morality of crushing the smallest and weakest while pretending to hit the fat cats.
    Etc etc etc

    Politicians (actual and wannabees) never address the REAL topics.
    I just found the blog of posted a question. I bet my post will not eve get up there. Let alone a response.

    I could post up what I think would get a response - but I don't want a permaban. Again....

  7. #7

    Super poster


    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    WTT Consulting Ltd - London and online
    Posts
    3,723

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by regron View Post
    He is the chap who suggested now the election is out of the way and won. Maybe it is time to discuss more realistic settlements. Something which the BG is hoping to do. Would it have any harm pointing the BG and its aims out to him ?
    Done
    Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

    (No, me neither).

  8. #8

    Super poster


    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    WTT Consulting Ltd - London and online
    Posts
    3,723

    Default

    I see that the BP comment has been published and I'm waiting for Jolyon to reply which I'm sure he will.
    Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

    (No, me neither).

  9. #9

    I Am Legend


    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    108,496

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by webberg View Post
    I see that the BP comment has been published and I'm waiting for Jolyon to reply which I'm sure he will.


    I feel guilty now for suggesting otherwise! Having had HMRC lie to us, and politicians turn a blind eye(even my local MP who was on the Labour Finance committee that passed S58!) I hope my faith in humanity can be restored.

  10. #10

    Some things in Moderation

    cojak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Look to your right...
    Posts
    20,370

    Default

    Another interesting blog from Jolyon here. http://waitingfortax.com/2014/08/07/...o-wont-say-no/

    An interesting article and debate of the blog here. Tax Research UK » Tackling ‘the boys’

    And what's more, I agree with him.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •