• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Costs awarded against HMRC

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Costs awarded against HMRC

The case of R, A and M Gardiner.

The above, husband, wife and son, took part in a mass marketed tax avoidance scheme. HMRC alleged negligence in their tax returns as they had failed to disclose certain elements of the scheme. In Court, when asked by the judge, HMRC could not evidence the alleged negligence and the case was dismissed.

Subsequently, the taxpayers applied for their costs on the grounds that HMRC had been unreasonable.

They succeeded and HMRC walked away with a hard slap on the wrist.
    Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Happy days, no doubt this result will go straight in the trash, to ensure they keep their so called '80% of all cases won' statement in tact !!
    STRENGTH - "A river cuts through rock not because of its power, but its persistence"

Comment

Probably because the case was not about tax and as such can't be counted against them.

What is perhaps more interesting (to a tax geek anyway) is how the Cotter and De Silva cases will now apply (i.e. what is or is not a return) and how this will limit any potential claim for penalty in a lot of settled cases.

You can be sure that this is part of the BIG GROUP armoury.
      Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Working...
      X