• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC debt collectors turned up at someone's house

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMRC debt collectors turned up at someone's house

One of our guys, who missed their APN due date, had a home visit from HMRC debt collectors. This was despite the fact that Debt Management had been told that they were being included in a JR. They've managed to get them called off for the time being.

This really is no surprise. I had my own run in with HMRC in 2007 when I was a limited company. Two quarters of VAT had somehow vanished in the black box HMRC systems, and despite my protestations, it reached the point where they sent out the debt collectors. It was only once I was able to show my bank statements showing the money going out that they backed out. Never got an apology (or the fabled bunch of flowers!), just a terse, official letter telling me that they had paid the money into the wrong account and this had since been rectified.

Just emphasises the biggest issue all of us face and that is that HMRC are not trustworthy - personally I would have loved to have run my scheme past them for an opinion back in 2010, but already scarred I didn't feel the trust.....

Comment

Working...
    X