• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

check Self-Assessment tax return - settlement?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

check Self-Assessment tax return - settlement?

Hi,

I received a letter from HMRC to check my Self-Assessment tax return. I was using a partnership for 2 years and HMRC believes that I was receiving loan payments. The partnership is assuring me that these payments were not loans.
    The problem is that I know someone else, in similar position, received and APN. Now the dilemma I have is to go for settlement or risk it and receive an APN. If I receive an APN, I worry that I would not be able to pay the amount.

Does anyone know how the settlement is calculated?

Can anybody recommend someone I can get an independent professional opinion? Any idea what should I expect to pay for the consultation fee?

Thanks,
    XT

Originally posted by xt13 View Post
    Hi,

I received a letter from HMRC to check my Self-Assessment tax return. I was using a partnership for 2 years and HMRC believes that I was receiving loan payments. The partnership is assuring me that these payments were not loans.
    The problem is that I know someone else, in similar position, received and APN. Now the dilemma I have is to go for settlement or risk it and receive an APN. If I receive an APN, I worry that I would not be able to pay the amount.

Can anybody recommend someone I can get an independent professional opinion? Any idea what should I expect to pay for the consultation fee?

Thanks,
    XT
    Join Big Group

WTT Big Group
    Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Originally posted by xt13 View Post
      Hi,

Thanks,
      XT
      Chances are an APN is already on its way - you don't have a choice of settlement or APN.

Settlement according to HMRC is pay the tax on the gross received. Plus interest.
      Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
        Chances are an APN is already on its way - you don't have a choice of settlement or APN.

Settlement according to HMRC is pay the tax on the gross received. Plus interest.
        WHS

In general, you'd need to come up with more money to settle than pay an APN.

Comment

Originally posted by DotasScandal View Post
          Join Big Group

WTT Big Group
          +1

Comment

Working...
          X