• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Business Mileage Claims

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Business Mileage Claims

My company cars up for renewal and i have the option of taking a car allowance if i want. I have heard that i can claim tax back on my business mileage if i have my own car. After a little research still not sure if i can so any help confirm this would be a great help:-

At the moment I run a company car with the fuel payed for by the company for both business & private mileage . I then reimburse the company for my private mileage.

If I take the car allowance and source my own car, the fuel will still be payed for by the company for both business & private miles, for which I still reimburse the company for my private mileage.
    So as I understand it, if the company supplies the fuel for all the business mileage I would not be able to claim any tax back.
    I can only claim tax back, if i pay for the fuel used for business mileage and then am reimbursed by the company for some of the HMRC values

e.g reimbursed 15p per mile
    Claim for
    45-15= 30p for the first 10000
    25-15= 10p for anything over 10000

Wrong forum.
    Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

That sounds correct. Goes on the satr and is exactly what I do.

Comment

Have you asked your HR?
        Last edited by northernladuk; 24 May 2016, 21:37.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Have you asked your HR?
          Btw, there are circumstances (unusual) where more tax relief can be obtained by yourco not paying you mileage and claiming it on the satr instead.

if your marginal tax rate exceeds the ct rate and you have salary which makes you a higher rate taxpayer and you have other income then it can be worthwhile doing the figures both ways. Pay ct on the extra profit from not paing mileage, claim relief on said payments at marginal rate.

Comment

Working...
          X