• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tax Schemes - Agencies being hit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post
    So for 17 of those the only accessible payee of tax to HMRC is any recruitment agency still standing... That can only be the bigger players as the smaller ones have probably merged or closed by now...
    Not really. There are plenty of small players that operate in small, high-yield niches that have been around for years and still going strong. Those probably make HMRC salivate as easy to destabilize targets.
    Last edited by DotasScandal; 28 July 2016, 13:00. Reason: typo
    Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Yep
      I understand from some of them that they will be writing to their MP on the matter to seek assurances that the Australian tax Authority should not be involved in collecting taxes in dispute on behalf of the UK when there was a clear failure to act on appropriately and in time by HMRC - and possible opening itself to litigation and political risks.
      Someone has sat down in HMRC bunker and perhaps tallied the number of non UK addresses that the APNs have been mailed too (where they have one!) and how this may be compounded by Brexit as well. There must now be an issue for continental Europeans. If you don't intend to come back it seems like they will struggle to get any cash from you. Maybe we can ask this as an FOI Request ?

Comment

Originally posted by QCApproved View Post
        Someone has sat down in HMRC bunker and perhaps tallied the number of non UK addresses that the APNs have been mailed too (where they have one!) and how this may be compounded by Brexit as well. There must now be an issue for continental Europeans.
        We hear of litterally hundreds of such contractors that are already happily practicing their craft under friendlier (and sunnier) skies. Good luck "collecting" from them. And one thing is certain: even if HMRC were to announce a full amnesty today, these guys will NEVER contract in the UK again. "Fool me once, shame on you..." - etc.
        Well done, Gauke!
        Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Good DOTAS I hope they never have to pay.
          I suggest my APN is divided 1/4 me and 3/4 to Robert Half - a Fortune 500 company
          The interesting thing is any client liability that makes life even easier for HMRC.
          It would be ironic if this were the next profit destroying compliance issue along the lines of LIBOR and PPI. I'll have to stop mys monthly share purchase.

Comment

Originally posted by DotasScandal View Post
            Good luck "collecting" from them.
            I believe in Germany the tax office is issuing arrest warrants for people like that, HMRC will certainly start doing the same thing - it's only a question when.

Comment

- i would like to see these German Warrants issued by HMRC

Dear Hermann
              Sorry to bother you - we were wondering if you could tie your officials courts and police up in knots for a few years and expose yourself to all sorts of aggro for no benefit whatsoever to yourself to help us out with a bit of tax admin. Long story short - we allowed some of your chaps to contract here for years using schemes that we had no idea how to address or advise people on. Having failed to do this and take any action against promoters nor accept our role in this debacle or offer any commercial settlement, we'd like you to help us collect the cash. Some of them may even have the front to make trouble by contacting your local politicians over there as well to complain so that may need smoothing over too. Best if we could get the ball rolling as we're now leaving the EU. As you know I'm v ambitious and frankly the list of people whom we're unlikely to get cash from is growing at an alarming rate!
              Regards
              DG

Comment

PS
                It was a great idea and a headline number at the time
                unfortunately seem to be a few probs at the execution and delivery stage cropping up. if the take falls considerably short myself and a few civil servants may be out of a job and need to take drastic life changing action such as having to work in the private sector. I appeal to your mercy as a fellow public official.

Comment

Originally posted by QCApproved View Post
                  PS
                  It was a great idea and a headline number at the time
                  unfortunately seem to be a few probs at the execution and delivery stage cropping up. if the take falls considerably short myself and a few civil servants may be out of a job and need to take drastic life changing action such as having to work in the private sector. I appeal to your mercy as a fellow public official.
                  PPS. We still have not proven that these people have done anything wrong or that they actually owe us any tax, we just want to collect payment on account. So please, go ahead and start arresting them.

Comment

Most double tax treaties cover the way in which income is divided up between countries for tax purposes and where tax credits etc are to be applied. Very few go on to include an agreement for the collection of tax in one country, allegedly owed to the other country.

I have also spoken with the ATO (Australia) recently. When asked if they would collect from an Aus citizen an amount owed to the UK, the answer was a definitive "no". They say that they will collect Aus tax from Aus residents and that's it.

The proposed April 2019 tax charge threatens to issue to non resident people an assessment and demand. That breaches any number of constitutional protections and again I can't see the ATO/IRS etc taking kindly to that.

For Reg 80 determinations, I think the time limit is 4 years? Be interesting to see if backdated determinations are raised.
                    Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

It will be interesting to see what the European Tax Authorities do. I went to one promoter function and most of the people out of 70 or 80 were non UK, some have stayed a lot haven't most likely.

Comment

Working...
                      X