• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Montpelier DTA scheme bulletin

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KSL View Post
    Hi

Sorry have buried my head in the sand far too long on this, hopefully can get some direction from some veterans of this forum.

Anybody been able to get any additional information from MP with regards to the recent letter they sent out? My APN / FN due dates are in March (Post LoR) . However if MP are continuing the fight then should I be asking for the APN / FN's to be withdrawn? If I pay the APN and settle (because of the FN) then its game over no turning back.

Is there an option to pay the APN, but get the FN withdrawn in-light of the possibe upcoming challenges?

apologies, If i've got this all wrong, don't want to give up the fight if we still have a chance.

- Thanks
    Once you receive a Follower Notice you basically have two choices:
    1. Take the "corrective action". That is accept that the Follower Notice applies and settle with HMRC. This will involve paying the APN as well as any additional interest HMRC add on top. It also involves ending your appeal and signing a declaration you accept your circumstances are the same as the case cited in the FN.
    2. Send a letter of representation giving HMRC reasons why the FN (& associated APNs) doesn't apply. The grounds are limited. For example if your case is different to the case HMRC are alleging you are a follower of. HMRC will review the representation and either confirm the FN or withdraw it. If they confirm the FN you have 30 days to take the prescribed corrective action or HMRC will add 50% penalty on top of your tax bill.

It is worth sending a LoR because it will buy you some extra time. However, unless you have a very good reason HMRC will not withdraw the FN.

If the FN is not withdrawn then just paying the APN will still likely result in HMRC applying a 50% penalty as on its own this doesn't qualify as corrective action.

The legislation is designed to make people pay up where a judgement in a similar case has been made.

So your options are very limited unless you are prepared to risk a 50% penalty.Do you have grounds for believing you can win your appeal even though the case the Follower Notice is in respect of lost?

If you win HMRC won't be able to levy a penalty (although they do have the power to levy the penalty before your appeal is decided - refunded if you win). You can also appeal the penalty. However, you should understand the grounds on which you could appeal if you wish to ignore the FN and continue .
    Last edited by Nazaire99; 18 February 2017, 04:25.

Comment

Originally posted by Laxmi View Post
      https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=RF7pQuO0Hns

common law court being set up, maybe we can get some justice with this, please watch and also read his book: Slaves Guide to the Galaxy.
      Maybe we can bring Retro tax as illegal and complaints against the miss-administration by GovUK/HMRC. Misleading Parliament, perjuring themselves etc.
      This is water under the bridge. This has been persued (unsuccessfully) by the No To Retro Tax group. There was also an unsuccessful Judicial Review into the legality of the retrospection.

Comment

Originally posted by Nazaire99 View Post
        Once you receive a Follower Notice you basically have two choices:
        1. Take the "corrective action". That is accept that the Follower Notice applies and settle with HMRC. This will involve paying the APN as well as any additional interest HMRC add on top. It also involves ending your appeal and signing a declaration you accept your circumstances are the same as the case cited in the FN.
        2. Send a letter of representation giving HMRC reasons why the FN (& associated APNs) doesn't apply. The grounds are limited. For example if your case is different to the case HMRC are alleging you are a follower of. HMRC will review the representation and either confirm the FN or withdraw it. If they confirm the FN you have 30 days to take the prescribed corrective action or HMRC will add 50% penalty on top of your tax bill.

It is worth sending a LoR because it will buy you some extra time. However, unless you have a very good reason HMRC will not withdraw the FN.

If the FN is not withdrawn then just paying the APN will still likely result in HMRC applying a 50% penalty as on its own this doesn't qualify as corrective action.

The legislation is designed to make people pay up where a judgement in a similar case has been made.

So your options are very limited unless you are prepared to risk a 50% penalty.Do you have grounds for believing you can win your appeal even though the case the Follower Notice is in respect of lost?

If you win HMRC won't be able to levy a penalty (although they do have the power to levy the penalty before your appeal is decided - refunded if you win). You can also appeal the penalty. However, you should understand the grounds on which you could appeal if you wish to ignore the FN and continue .
        A very good post.

I would like to emphasize that you have to be very brave to risk 50% penalties.

Comment

Thank-you for the information, this really helps.
          I got some template LoR Letters from MP on Friday by email. I had already submitted LoRs previously (questioning that actual figures). Should I send these into? or is the case that once you have submitted an LoR you can't submit additional representations?

Thank-you

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            A very good post.

I would like to emphasize that you have to be very brave to risk 50% penalties.
            Is that "brave" as in "Yes Minister" type brave then?
            Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
            Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
              Is that "brave" as in "Yes Minister" type brave then?
              Given 50% penalties - yep....

Mind you its irrelevant if you have no way of paying the original amount before the 50% penalties were added...
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

anyone know if NTRT Site down for maintenance

Comment

Originally posted by Samatra View Post
                  anyone know if NTRT Site down for maintenance
                  Its fine now

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    Given 50% penalties - yep....

Mind you its irrelevant if you have no way of paying the original amount before the 50% penalties were added...
                    +1

Comment

Originally posted by KSL View Post
                      Thank-you for the information, this really helps.
                      I got some template LoR Letters from MP on Friday by email. I had already submitted LoRs previously (questioning that actual figures). Should I send these into? or is the case that once you have submitted an LoR you can't submit additional representations?

Thank-you
                      Have you asked Dawn?

My understanding is you can submit as many LoRs as you like. Provided it is before the deadline.

Comment

Working...
                      X