• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Montpelier DTA scheme bulletin

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Any contact with Montpelier is incredibly dangerous. Before I moved house I used to shred everything from them unopened. Now the post redirection has ended I assume the new receivers do the same.

Don't encourage them. Treat them like you treat the CUK trolls. Just ignore.
    Can you explain why you think it's dangerous?

Comment

Originally posted by Snooky View Post
      Can you explain why you think it's dangerous?
      Montpelier initially did very good work. The retrospection totally caught them off guard.

I think we are beyond the point where Montpelier can assist scheme users with anything. I think they now want fees after claiming DTA is a success. They are hanging on the coat-tails of TAA and LCAG. Huitson was a disaster.

So my belief is they will take and give nothing. They had their take - their various schemes netted about £100m in fees. Now they are nearly bankrupt.

I wish they would just close up shop and shred all their records.

If anyone wants to deal with them I strongly urge an adviser. PM me if anyone wants my recommendations.

Comment

If Montpelier are looking to squeeze more out of people, they're only going to be interested in those who haven't settled.

If you've already settled, and want to be removed from the mailing list, I can't see any harm in contacting DB.

Comment

Originally posted by More Lamb View Post
          If Montpelier are looking to squeeze more out of people, they're only going to be interested in those who haven't settled.

If you've already settled, and want to be removed from the mailing list, I can't see any harm in contacting DB.
          When TAA wins, MP will claim their fees.

Just shred all letters from the IoM.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            When TAA wins, MP will claim their fees.
            Even if MP do try that, it will only be with people who haven't already settled and paid tax.

By the way, you seriously believe TAA can be won? HMRC will stoop to anything not to lose. The Tom Moore stunt is a case in point, which will no doubt lead to further rounds of litigation.

How may of those in TAA will be 6' under by the time this is concluded?

Comment

Even if MP do try that, it will only be with people who haven't already settled and paid tax.
              You are entitled to your opinion.

Comment

MontP letter

I'm sure if you tell DB you've settled they'll take you off the mailing list.
                Not so. I told DB a while back that I had completed a full and final settlement with HMRC and that I didn't require MontP to do anything else on my behalf.

Now I've received the letter which implies that the issue is still ongoing. I suspect they're planning some kind of scam, claiming that the scheme has worked and if you settled that's tough luck, you still owe us our cut.

Comment

Originally posted by mossman View Post
                  Not so. I told DB a while back that I had completed a full and final settlement with HMRC and that I didn't require MontP to do anything else on my behalf.

Now I've received the letter which implies that the issue is still ongoing. I suspect they're planning some kind of scam, claiming that the scheme has worked and if you settled that's tough luck, you still owe us our cut.
                  Indeed it is a scam. And can be defeated. But who wants to spend the time/energy/money on this?

As I say, Gittins made ~£100m from the various schemes. All gone.

Comment

Originally posted by mossman View Post
                    I suspect they're planning some kind of scam, claiming that the scheme has worked and if you settled that's tough luck, you still owe us our cut.
                    I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. It could be years before the TAA case is concluded. HMRC have already chucked a massive spanner in the works which will probable necessitate a full blown JR (High Court => Appeal Court => Supreme Court).

And, in the end, I expect the Judges will contrive a way of siding with HMRC.

Comment

This may provide some interesting background to MP Montpelier (Trust and Corporate) Services Limited - appointment of receiver, manager and inspectors

Comment

Working...
                      X