• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Opus bestpay loan Scheme

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opus bestpay loan Scheme

Hi all.

So i decided to join bestpay around a year ago thinking everything was legit.

Tried for a mortgage at a bank which was refused due to me not being able to prove my taxable income. I research more and the horror came apparent that i was using a loan scheme.

My partner was expecting me to speak to a mortgage broker this weekend to secure a large deposit on a house. Im not now going to do this as i am looking to settle what i owe with HMRC help. Probably looking at around £20,000

This has put my future in jeopardy due to me not being careful and coaxed into this supposedly 100% compliant scheme.

Am i right to just settle what i owe HMRC rather than buy a house, risk being investigated and losing my new home??

Oh dear, what shame you didn't come here a year ago.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogiebear View Post
      Hi all.

Tried for a mortgage at a bank which was refused due to me not being able to prove my taxable income. I research more and the horror came apparent that i was using a loan scheme.

My partner was expecting me to speak to a mortgage broker this weekend to secure a large deposit on a house. Im not now going to do this as i am looking to settle what i owe with HMRC help. Probably looking at around £20,000

This has put my future in jeopardy due to me not being careful and coaxed into this supposedly 100% compliant scheme.

Am i right to just settle what i owe HMRC rather than buy a house, risk being investigated and losing my new home??
      If you can afford £20,000, just pay, regard it as a painful lesson and get on with the rest of your life. You'll just have to get a slightly smaller house.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogiebear View Post
        Hi all.

Not sure how you jump from "being investigated" to "losing your new home". But if you want to volunteer throwing your money down the drain, by all means, go ahead... It's your money.

You might want to read up on the "2019 charge" as well.
        Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Originally posted by DotasScandal View Post
          Not sure how you jump from "being investigated" to "losing your new home". But if you want to volunteer throwing your money down the drain, by all means, go ahead... It's your money.

You might want to read up on the "2019 charge" as well.
          What is this 2019 charge what would happen if i settle what i owe now?

Comment

Opus BestPay

I have also received a letter from HMRC with regards to this scheme.Still trying to digest what it all means and I'm looking for a reliable source of information and advice. Any help at this stage would be appreciated.

Comment

I'm also a member of the Scheme have you contacted Best Pay and have they offered you any advice

Comment

Originally posted by Juniper1 View Post
                I have also received a letter from HMRC with regards to this scheme.Still trying to digest what it all means and I'm looking for a reliable source of information and advice. Any help at this stage would be appreciated.
                Speak to an accountant, although there are a lot of ambulance chasers out there. I'd suggest WTT who are behind the BigGroup, contact webberg for details.

I'm sorry you're in this mess, however, the general way this goes is that BestPay will offer limited support but the reality is that they are unlikely to defend their arrangement through the courts.

Comment

BigGroup Membership

Hi can I get access to send PM. I see that membership is closed temporarily I'm assuming I can still get advice as any response have to make is time critical.

Comment

opus bestpay

we are an accounting firm dealing with investigations for clients who have got mixed up with opus schemes without realising the implications.

my advice is get an accountant to rework your tax return correctly and pay the tax across. surcharges can be up to 60% of the tax due on top of the tax payable so could be very expensive!

check the calculations though as HMRC may not have the correct information.

Comment

Working...
                    X