• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Opus bestpay loan Scheme

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FHA View Post
    we are an accounting firm dealing with investigations for clients who have got mixed up with opus schemes without realising the implications.

my advice is get an accountant to rework your tax return correctly and pay the tax across. surcharges can be up to 60% of the tax due on top of the tax payable so could be very expensive!

check the calculations though as HMRC may not have the correct information.
    Please beware of people on this site, with a total of 1 post, offering support. They may be genuine, trying to rip you off <removed> or have little real experience in this field.
    Last edited by administrator; 10 March 2017, 15:06. Reason: Edited.

Comment

Hi there,

I am also in an unexpected situation with BestPay, who I thought were legit. Luckily I stopped using them a while ago but I do have 3 years worth of accounts with them.

I have been refered, by BestPay, to an accounting company called 'Associate Services' to deal with HMRC, with BestPay covering the fee. I am obviously very dubious of this as I have zero trust in BestPay and am worried about fixing the issue with more lies. I was wondering if anyone else has had any experience of Associate Services?

I do have my own accountant who deals with my Ltd Company but I'm worried that she won't fully understand the situation, where as Associate Services do. They did sound legit when I spoke on the phone but just don't know who to trust anymore.

Thanks,
      Hannah

Comment

Originally posted by hannahlmoore View Post
        Hi there,

I am also in an unexpected situation with BestPay, who I thought were legit. Luckily I stopped using them a while ago but I do have 3 years worth of accounts with them.

I have been refered, by BestPay, to an accounting company called 'Associate Services' to deal with HMRC, with BestPay covering the fee. I am obviously very dubious of this as I have zero trust in BestPay and am worried about fixing the issue with more lies. I was wondering if anyone else has had any experience of Associate Services?

I do have my own accountant who deals with my Ltd Company but I'm worried that she won't fully understand the situation, where as Associate Services do. They did sound legit when I spoke on the phone but just don't know who to trust anymore.

Thanks,
        Hannah
        Run a mile.

See here for more details:

http://forums.contractoruk.com/hmrc-...hemes-117.html

I would strongly suggest using nobody but Big Group. They will be open for new customers again next month, can you hold off until then?

Comment

Many thanks for your response, seems I may have been right to be dubious!

I can't wait for Big Group, I need to respond to HMRC by 24th March and they aren't taking on new members at the moment.

I do have an accountancy firm who work for me now I have a Ltd Company. They can do me a correct tax return for the year that's in question and I can pay it, but then I'm concerned that that's me accepting liability when I should be trying to fight this. They are very straight down the line so I 100% trust them but they also won't fully understand the situation.

Comment

All you can do is get advice as to how to proceed. The big group joining instruction page has a phone number for WTT. Phone it and see what they suggest.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Hannah

I'm in exactly the same situation and have also been referred to Associate Services and share your concern I'm currently speaking to WTT Consulting would suggest you make a call in to them.

Comment

Originally posted by Juniper1 View Post
                Hannah

I'm in exactly the same situation and have also been referred to Associate Services and share your concern I'm currently speaking to WTT Consulting would suggest you make a call in to them.
                Many thanks - I've left a voicemail with them so hopefully they can advise on next steps.

My real accountant (orange genie) has also confirmed she'd appeal on my behalf, but again I'm wary due to her not working with these schemes before. But then maybe that's a good thing - she's honest and straight down the line!

The thing that makes me so mad is all of the money I've wasted on BestPay fees - surely there must be grounds to sue?

Comment

Originally posted by hannahlmoore View Post
                  Many thanks - I've left a voicemail with them so hopefully they can advise on next steps.

My real accountant (orange genie) has also confirmed she'd appeal on my behalf, but again I'm wary due to her not working with these schemes before. But then maybe that's a good thing - she's honest and straight down the line!

The thing that makes me so mad is all of the money I've wasted on BestPay fees - surely there must be grounds to sue?
                  I'd also suggest changing your username on here (assuming your real name is Hannah L Moore) or keeping the details disclosed to a minimum - HMRC read these forums

Comment

All, the statement that WTT Big Group is currently closed is correct.

However WTT Consulting is very much open and for urgent matters (assessments, APNs, etc) we are presently very active.

We are aware that HMRC is engaged in issuing discovery assessments in particular and you do need to appeal those within 30 days. We (and I'm sure all other accounting firms) would be happy to help with those.

The post allegedly from the accounting firm above makes a lot of sense if you want to reach a settlement. There are other methods to achieve that goal. Some may suit you better.

In general though - get professional advice, think about what you want to achieve, discuss that objective with an adviser once you understand the process and implications. Put a plan in place to reach that objective.

At the risk of advertising however, I repeat that we are open.
                    Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

HMRC Assesment

Morning,
                      I joined the BestPay scheme back in Sept 2012 and left in June 2014, after becoming concerned with the scheme.
                      I had assessment from HMRC for 2012-2013 asking for over 31k based on the assumption I have earned just over 91K.
                      The actual amount I received as a retainer and loan from BestPay totaled 27k for 2012-2013 (I have all scanned Pay Advices from BestPay).
                      I have yet to file my 2013-2014 return(Very stupid I know). The amount received as a retainer and loan from BestPay totals around 38k for 2013-2014.
                      I have not worked out the amount from April 2014 to June 2014 (when I left the scheme).
                      I will be contacting HMRC to appeal the amount and ask time to pay.
                      I have had a brief conversation with G.Webber at WTT, Who put my initial panic attack at ease, now a little less stressed I am looking for any further advice or experiences from other contractors who have been or are in my position.

Regards
                      a less angry monkey

Comment

Working...
                      X