• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Settlement with HMRC and 2019 loan charge

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Settlement with HMRC and 2019 loan charge

So between Feb 2016 and March 2017 i recieve a total of £50,000

£12,000 in salary and £38,000 in loans.

I wish to settle all taxes and NI with HMRC before April 2019.

(A) How much is this likely to be?

(B) after all taxes and NI is settled, am i still susceptible to the 2019 tax charge?

Im not getting how the 2019 tax charge works. Why would i get the charge? Is it because i have had £38,000 in loan amounts? Or am i now in the clear. If not what would be the charge on £38,000 worth of loan amount?

Regards

A) assuming this was your only income, you would be taxed as if this was salary..same as normal PAYE (but without the NI).. use a tax calculator (like listentotaxman et al) to get an estimate.

B) no - once you've settled all tax owed on the loan you are exempt from the 2019 charge.

The purpose of the 2019 loan charge is to draw a line under loan schemes without the government having to resort to lengthy court cases and (in their view) delaying tactics. It works by treating all outstanding prescribed Trust loans (i.e. loans from identified scheme trusts) as at April 2019 as income in the 2019-2020 tax year (i.e. if you have £100k of loans for all years, your income for 2019-20 would be increased by that £100k and then taxed at standard rates - so, roughly speaking, if your normal income for that year was £50k, your adjusted taxable income for the year would be set at £150k - meaning all of the loans will be taxed at the higher income rates, whereas atleast some would have been lower rate taxed if you settled each year separately). If you have settled the taxed owed before April 2019 you are exempt.

Comment

year

Originally posted by CDJ View Post
      A) assuming this was your only income, you would be taxed as if this was salary..same as normal PAYE (but without the NI).. use a tax calculator (like listentotaxman et al) to get an estimate.

B) no - once you've settled all tax owed on the loan you are exempt from the 2019 charge.

The purpose of the 2019 loan charge is to draw a line under loan schemes without the government having to resort to lengthy court cases and (in their view) delaying tactics. It works by treating all outstanding prescribed Trust loans (i.e. loans from identified scheme trusts) as at April 2019 as income in the 2019-2020 tax year (i.e. if you have £100k of loans for all years, your income for 2019-20 would be increased by that £100k and then taxed at standard rates - so, roughly speaking, if your normal income for that year was £50k, your adjusted taxable income for the year would be set at £150k - meaning all of the loans will be taxed at the higher income rates, whereas atleast some would have been lower rate taxed if you settled each year separately). If you have settled the taxed owed before April 2019 you are exempt.
      It is the 2018/19 tax year not 19/20. So loans outstanding 5 April 2019 - tax due by 31/1/20

Comment

Originally posted by Delendog View Post
        It is the 2018/19 tax year not 19/20. So loans outstanding 5 April 2019 - tax due by 31/1/20
        Thanks for the correct Delendog (thought it was included in the following year, not that its happy days either way)

Comment

Good accountants ?

Hi All,

I am also affected by loan scheme in year 14-15 and 15-16 and need to settle.

Do you know any good accounts who can do calculations?

Have any of you worked via AML ?

Cheers,
          mm

Comment

Loan charge calculator https://forums.contractoruk.com/hmrc...alculator.html

https://forums.contractoruk.com/hmrc...an-charge.html

https://forums.contractoruk.com/hmrc...-smartpay.html

Basically just take a look on the 1st page of this sub-forum.
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
            X