• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Just a heads up that Money Box (Radio 4) are covering this in the next 1/2 hr.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a heads up that Money Box (Radio 4) are covering this in the next 1/2 hr.

Just a heads up for those interested. Just for info - I'm not impacted by any of this.

BBC Radio 4 - Money Box, Backlog builds ahead of probate changes

About 10 minutes in... this is about the investigations into the loans schemes used to avoid PAYE/NI. The Finance Bill on Monday will give HMRC powers to investigate up to 20 years.

Estimated that about 40,000 contractors will be affected through application of today's tax climate to 20 year old cases...
    Last edited by ladymuck; 19 March 2017, 17:39.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

About 10 minutes in... this is about the investigations into the loans schemes used to avoid PAYE/NI. The Finance Bill on Monday will give HMRC powers to investigate up to 20 years.

Estimated that about 40,000 contractors will be affected through application of today's tax climate to 20 year old cases...
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

This is just what is already known.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

NO, it's not about investigations at all I'm afraid.

HMRC will on Monday get the power to ASSESS any unpaid disguised remuneration loans.

No investigation. They may ask for information but if that's not forthcoming they will guess the amount to be taxed.

The programme was about the unfairness of HMRC in staying silent for years and then deciding that ALL contractor arrangements are tax avoidance. Promoters, agencies, umbrellas and clients get away with paying NOTHING and individuals pay it all.

That is not fair and that was the point of the Radio 4 show.
          Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
            NO, it's not about investigations at all I'm afraid.

HMRC will on Monday get the power to ASSESS any unpaid disguised remuneration loans.

No investigation. They may ask for information but if that's not forthcoming they will guess the amount to be taxed.
            Not the language used from about 13-14 minutes in. I guess your interpretation of the following (quoted verbatim) is different to mine:

"The tax man is usually limited to investigating the last four years, six if there has been careless behaviour. They can only go back further if the avoidance has been deliberate, in other words, fraudulent. That rule is about to be changed to give the tax man the right to go back 20 years in these cases, and that provision will be included in the Finance Bill that's being published on Monday."

I agree that the tone of the piece is the unfairness of investigating such old schemes after such a long period of silence.

Comment

Why would they change the law just to assess as opposed to investigate?

Comment

Originally posted by Invisiblehand View Post
                Why would they change the law just to assess as opposed to investigate?
                To bypass the investigation phase. HMRC want to be able to say you owe us £200,000 unless you proof otherwise rather than having to do the actual leg work and doing the investigation first...

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  To bypass the investigation phase. HMRC want to be able to say you owe us £200,000 unless you proof otherwise rather than having to do the actual leg work and doing the investigation first...
                  So if say you were paid in loans from 2008-2013 they could now write to you and say we believe you were also paid in loans from 2000-2008. Pay X or prove us wrong".

Comment

Originally posted by Invisiblehand View Post
                    So if say you were paid in loans from 2008-2013 they could now write to you and say we believe you were also paid in loans from 2000-2008. Pay X or prove us wrong".
                    I don't know... I was merely stating why they may want to avoid investigations - the basis for how HMRC make assumptions is not something I want to speculate on...

Comment

Working...
                    X