• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Appeal letter - panicking

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Appeal letter - panicking

Received a discovery assessment notice at end Feb. Duly sent a letter of appeal. Sent by registered post. It was signed for 2 weeks ago and is still not on the system. Whenever I call they just tell me it probably hasn't got around to being logged yet. But my 30 day notice period is up very shortly so I won't I get fined and my appeal rejected if they don't read it?

I'm very stressed by it all.

HMRC are notoriously bad at written correspondence and have been known to take several months to respond.

I would call them once a week to check what they are doing with your appeal.

Make a nuisance of yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by HebdenMole View Post
      Received a discovery assessment notice at end Feb. Duly sent a letter of appeal. Sent by registered post. It was signed for 2 weeks ago and is still not on the system. Whenever I call they just tell me it probably hasn't got around to being logged yet. But my 30 day notice period is up very shortly so I won't I get fined and my appeal rejected if they don't read it?
      I'm very stressed by it all.
      Maybe a good starting point would be to, er, stop panicking?
      You sent it registered?
      They signed for it?
      You have the slip?

So sit back and relax.

As said above, these guys don't know their a** from their elbow. But even if it takes them a year to get your appeal through "the system", it isn't your worry.
      Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Originally posted by DotasScandal View Post
        Maybe a good starting point would be to, er, stop panicking?
        You sent it registered?
        They signed for it?
        You have the slip?

So sit back and relax.

As said above, these guys don't know their a** from their elbow. But even if it takes them a year to get your appeal through "the system", it isn't your worry.
        ^^^ This

I had the same issue with one of my APN reps. They said they never received, I presented signed slip to prove via email, voila !!!! They all of a sudden found it !!!!
        STRENGTH - "A river cuts through rock not because of its power, but its persistence"

Comment

But won't I get fined for non payment if they don't register my appeal within 30 days?

Comment

Originally posted by HebdenMole View Post
            But won't I get fined for non payment if they don't register my appeal within 30 days?
            You won't be but it doesn't matter if you did because you have proof of delivery within the 30 day period and were they to fine you, you would point them at the delivery receipt and tell them to remove it...

Don't stress at their incompetency - just make sure you don't lose the receipt...
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              You won't be but it doesn't matter if you did because you have proof of delivery within the 30 day period and were they to fine you, you would point them at the delivery receipt and tell them to remove it...

Don't stress at their incompetency - just make sure you don't lose the receipt...
              And take a screenshot of proof it was delivered.

Comment

..And understand these offices are jam-packed with lazy, bloated slugs. This is not the private sector, and this is not exactly the cream of the public sector either. A "can do" attitude is nowhere to be found there, and it can take a looooong time for a simple letter to make it through "the system"...or for just about anything to be done, for the matter.
                Also, don't expect for anything to be handled sensibly - they leave their brains in the cloakroom when they come in.

Adjust your excpectations accordingly and you'll be fine.
                Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Originally posted by DotasScandal View Post

Adjust your excpectations accordingly and you'll be fine.
                  In other words, when your expectations have reached rock-bottom, dig a hole and lower them again.

Only then will you be approaching the edge of the omnishambles that is HMRC.
                  Join Big Group - don't let them get away with it
                  http://www.wttbiggroup.co.uk/

Comment

Working...
                  X