• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Please read this if you are desperate and feel you are running out of options

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you feel that the debt is swamping you, contact Step Change. StepChange Debt Charity - Free Expert Debt Advice.

They are a debt charity who will be able to offer advice and put you on the right track.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

sign petition

Worth signing this petition if you oppose the 2019 Loan Charge. We need minimum 10,000 signatures.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/218582

The personal data of petitioner will not be published. Please do not worry about your details, a big IF, shared with HMRC. Don't forget that the scheme provider is going to pass your details anyways in Sep 2019.

Comment

No-one can take what you do not have. For some, bankruptcy can help. There are ways of delaying situations coming to a head which can give time to work something out.

Comment

A Bleak Future For All Contractors

This is my first visit to this site and just learning that I am definitely not alone. During the last two years I have been in a very dark space and have been close to taking my own life on many occasions, even down to drafting my final note.

My head is completely consumed with the dreadful prospect of what is to come, I go to sleep (sometimes) and wake up with the same thoughts rattling round my head. What have I done to deserve this? I was raised to trust and respect everyone until they prove they are not worthy. Sadly the company who signed me up to this scheme have proven they are definitely not worthy but, have taken their fat fees and disappeared leaving the company bankrupt with me being the creditors only recourse. Between HMRC and the Receiver they are leaving me with few options: community housing and benefits or the dark alternative.

Having been made redundant at aged 54, with the minimum package lasting just a few months, mortgage and bills were piling up and when I sought financial help, I was forced by the government, to sell my only pension plan, in the form of an investment property. Some 14 months out of work I took the first job offered 200 miles away and a weekly commute. My living costs far exceeded the meagre salary and another 14 months later, I was in debt and forced to resign. I then took my first contract job closer to home and was recommended this 'package' by a colleague - and here I am today some 12 years later, unable to obtain work and about to lose everything. I still have trouble understanding how, and why, HMRC are continuing with this persecution of people who have been 'sold' a plan and signed up in good faith. HMRC should be looking at their own failings and those of the professional organisations who mis-sold these schemes to many unsuspecting people - we as contractors are the scapegoats in all of this.

Comment

Please call us and have a a discussion.

We have no magic wand but understanding the situation may help you and I'd rather give you 30 free minutes than leave you where you are.
            Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Please present your case to HMRC/ Local MP. I dare say, be up front about the consequences of what HMRC are asking for.

I hope there is help available. A belligerent application of a law that leads to this sort of outcome is surely not in the interests of anyone, including the HMRC?
              Last edited by BankingContract0r; 30 May 2018, 08:59.

Comment

Originally posted by KNC View Post
                This is my first visit to this site and just learning that I am definitely not alone. During the last two years I have been in a very dark space and have been close to taking my own life on many occasions, even down to drafting my final note.

My head is completely consumed with the dreadful prospect of what is to come, I go to sleep (sometimes) and wake up with the same thoughts rattling round my head. What have I done to deserve this? I was raised to trust and respect everyone until they prove they are not worthy. Sadly the company who signed me up to this scheme have proven they are definitely not worthy but, have taken their fat fees and disappeared leaving the company bankrupt with me being the creditors only recourse. Between HMRC and the Receiver they are leaving me with few options: community housing and benefits or the dark alternative.

Having been made redundant at aged 54, with the minimum package lasting just a few months, mortgage and bills were piling up and when I sought financial help, I was forced by the government, to sell my only pension plan, in the form of an investment property. Some 14 months out of work I took the first job offered 200 miles away and a weekly commute. My living costs far exceeded the meagre salary and another 14 months later, I was in debt and forced to resign. I then took my first contract job closer to home and was recommended this 'package' by a colleague - and here I am today some 12 years later, unable to obtain work and about to lose everything. I still have trouble understanding how, and why, HMRC are continuing with this persecution of people who have been 'sold' a plan and signed up in good faith. HMRC should be looking at their own failings and those of the professional organisations who mis-sold these schemes to many unsuspecting people - we as contractors are the scapegoats in all of this.
                Please, please, please read this at the very least. You are FAR from alone in all this mess.

https://www.hmrcloancharge.info/supp...by-helen-stone
                STRENGTH - "A river cuts through rock not because of its power, but its persistence"

Comment

Originally posted by regron View Post
                  Please, please, please read this at the very least. You are FAR from alone in all this mess.

https://www.hmrcloancharge.info/supp...by-helen-stone
                  I think this is a wonderful article from Helen. Ive posted and shared on Facebook hopefully highlighting the plight of many out there.

Comment

Take action - please don't worry

Originally posted by KNC View Post

Please send your impact statements to LCAG at "[email protected]" so that they can raise it with various stakeholders. Every single submission counts for them! So, please put together your thoughts and send them by email. The statement could be of any size ranging from one paragraph to 10 pages. Try to convey how long you used the arrangement and reason for using the same. Then how this loan charge has and will impact your financial condition, family, health, mental wellbeing, career and future. How your life has changed from before loan charge/ APN to now. Its our opportunity to make our voice heard -make it count!!

Comment

your profile on linkedin is not available

your linkedin page is unavailable

please can you advise? or give a number to call

Originally posted by webberg View Post
                      Please call us and have a a discussion.

We have no magic wand but understanding the situation may help you and I'd rather give you 30 free minutes than leave you where you are.

Comment

Working...
                      X