• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC enforcement process

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMRC enforcement process

Hi

Like many of you, I am a victim of the DOTAS scandal. APNs totalling £60k.

I have no assets and absolutely no way of paying. Considered suicide for a while. Still have the kit ready for a helium exit bag.

A HMRC representative has sent scary letters a few times. The most recent being a few days ago which stated he was beginning enforcement action.

Does anyone have experience of what I should expect next? I have no way of paying, so presumably bankruptcy is the only option. My biggest fear is them turning up to my home out of the blue to remove my personal belongings. I would like to hide them in storage before that happens, but will I be given notice?

Hi EndoftheRoad,

Sorry to hear you’re in a bad way. Obviously the most important thing to say is that nothing HMRC or anyone else can do is worth taking your own life over. It sounds like those thoughts are in the past but always remember there are people that can help.

I can only offer the most generic of advice, which is to get professional help with your financial situation. With the time of year, I guess some of the regulars on here may not be so active but I’m sure they’ll be along soon. Webberg always has sensible suggestions, and I know offers a service to help some in your position.

I’m sorry I can’t give you specific answers to your questions, but I didn’t want your post to go unanswered, and I’m sure some others will be able to offer a bit more.

Chin up, and I think you’re doing the right thing, which is to at least try and find out what’s coming down the line rather than sticking your head in the sand.

All the best

Comment

Originally posted by EndoftheRoad View Post
      Hi

Like many of you, I am a victim of the DOTAS scandal. APNs totalling £60k.

I have no assets and absolutely no way of paying. Considered suicide for a while. Still have the kit ready for a helium exit bag.

A HMRC representative has sent scary letters a few times. The most recent being a few days ago which stated he was beginning enforcement action.

Does anyone have experience of what I should expect next? I have no way of paying, so presumably bankruptcy is the only option. My biggest fear is them turning up to my home out of the blue to remove my personal belongings. I would like to hide them in storage before that happens, but will I be given notice?
      Cojak pointed you to a thread: -
      https://forums.contractoruk.com/hmrc...ml#post2495802

Did you join BG?

Have you responded to any of the letters?

Have you spoken to your GP?

Is there any way you could pay over 3 years? Or 5 years?

If HMRC turn up, DO NOT LET THEM IN. Tell them to send you letters and get a court order.

Comment

Working...
      X