• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Twitter Campaign against 2019 Charge

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Twitter Campaign against 2019 Charge

Hi, I am new to this forum and am one of the thousands impacted by the 2019 Charge. As I am facing bankruptcy I am trying to take any action to fight against this and try and get someone to sit up and take notice. I am sure that anyone who has been to see their MP know how difficult it is to get anyone to listen. I started posting on Twitter a few months ago and there are a handful of other contractors on there trying to generate some interest in our plight. I always avoided Twitter before but actually it has been quite therapeutic being able to direct posts at Mel Stride, HMRC etc.

Apparently according to government figures there are 40,000 contractors affected by this retrospective legislation. I just wondered if there are any others out there who would like to jump on Twitter to see if we can get the numbers up so we can raise the profile of our situation.

I think perhaps you might read this thread https://forums.contractoruk.com/hmrc...ehaviours.html and the comments about raising awareness.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Big Group has an active number of twitter users who are engaged in a campaign. Look out for their material and join in.
      Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Thunderclap might be a way to do this, if you're so inclined and can get enough people to sign up to it.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by NoBigFish View Post
          Hi, I am new to this forum and am one of the thousands impacted by the 2019 Charge. As I am facing bankruptcy I am trying to take any action to fight against this and try and get someone to sit up and take notice. I am sure that anyone who has been to see their MP know how difficult it is to get anyone to listen. I started posting on Twitter a few months ago and there are a handful of other contractors on there trying to generate some interest in our plight. I always avoided Twitter before but actually it has been quite therapeutic being able to direct posts at Mel Stride, HMRC etc.

Apparently according to government figures there are 40,000 contractors affected by this retrospective legislation. I just wondered if there are any others out there who would like to jump on Twitter to see if we can get the numbers up so we can raise the profile of our situation.

I am doing the same, just trying to get the message out there into the mainstream - lots of activity and feels quite energised. People need to take notice now - not just the IT industry anymore!

Comment

Originally posted by NoBigFish View Post

I’d be v surprised if it’s only 40k. I’d have estimated double that.

Comment

I'm not a huge twitter use, nor am I affected by the BN66 legislation, however I'm happy to follow and retweet relevant messages. PM the details.

Comment

Originally posted by phil@dswtres View Post
                I’d be v surprised if it’s only 40k. I’d have estimated double that.
                Yes, I've seen estimates that it's closer to 100,000 potentially affected by LC19.

Comment

Originally posted by Loan Ranger View Post
                  Yes, I've seen estimates that it's closer to 100,000 potentially affected by LC19.
                  And Mel Stride states that there will not be any impact to family life for these people.

Unfortunately individuals are being hounded by HMRC and yet the likes of Google, Amazon and even Banks that used EBT schemes get preferential treatment.

The fallout from all this will be catastrophic come 2020. It's not an exaggeration to state individuals with power and influence will indeed have blood on their hands.
                  http://www.dotas-scandal.org LCAG Join Us

Comment

Originally posted by Manic View Post
                    I'm not a huge twitter use, nor am I affected by the BN66 legislation, however I'm happy to follow and retweet relevant messages. PM the details.
                    Hi if you look out for the #2019charge on Twitter you will soon see all the people who are trying to get the message out there. The more people who ge involved the more likely it will be to get someone to take notice.

Comment

Working...
                    X