Twitter Campaign against 2019 Charge Twitter Campaign against 2019 Charge
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 18
  1. #1

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    9

    Default Twitter Campaign against 2019 Charge

    Hi, I am new to this forum and am one of the thousands impacted by the 2019 Charge. As I am facing bankruptcy I am trying to take any action to fight against this and try and get someone to sit up and take notice. I am sure that anyone who has been to see their MP know how difficult it is to get anyone to listen. I started posting on Twitter a few months ago and there are a handful of other contractors on there trying to generate some interest in our plight. I always avoided Twitter before but actually it has been quite therapeutic being able to direct posts at Mel Stride, HMRC etc.

    Apparently according to government figures there are 40,000 contractors affected by this retrospective legislation. I just wondered if there are any others out there who would like to jump on Twitter to see if we can get the numbers up so we can raise the profile of our situation.

  2. #2

    Respect my authoritah!

    NotAllThere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Far away from HMRC
    Posts
    21,649

    Default

    I think perhaps you might read this thread https://forums.contractoruk.com/hmrc...ehaviours.html and the comments about raising awareness.
    Boomers tend to believe in “freedom of speech”, which is a fascist concept used to spread hateful ideas.Given that hate speech is not possible without free speech, any defence of free speech is a form of hate speech. - Titania McGrath

  3. #3

    Super poster


    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    WTT Consulting Ltd - London and online
    Posts
    3,433

    Default

    Big Group has an active number of twitter users who are engaged in a campaign. Look out for their material and join in.
    Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

    (No, me neither).

  4. #4

    Faqqed Off

    TheFaQQer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    36,488

    Default

    Thunderclap might be a way to do this, if you're so inclined and can get enough people to sign up to it.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

  5. #5

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NoBigFish View Post
    Hi, I am new to this forum and am one of the thousands impacted by the 2019 Charge. As I am facing bankruptcy I am trying to take any action to fight against this and try and get someone to sit up and take notice. I am sure that anyone who has been to see their MP know how difficult it is to get anyone to listen. I started posting on Twitter a few months ago and there are a handful of other contractors on there trying to generate some interest in our plight. I always avoided Twitter before but actually it has been quite therapeutic being able to direct posts at Mel Stride, HMRC etc.

    Apparently according to government figures there are 40,000 contractors affected by this retrospective legislation. I just wondered if there are any others out there who would like to jump on Twitter to see if we can get the numbers up so we can raise the profile of our situation.

    I am doing the same, just trying to get the message out there into the mainstream - lots of activity and feels quite energised. People need to take notice now - not just the IT industry anymore!

  6. #6

    More time posting than coding


    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    260

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NoBigFish View Post
    Hi, I am new to this forum and am one of the thousands impacted by the 2019 Charge. As I am facing bankruptcy I am trying to take any action to fight against this and try and get someone to sit up and take notice. I am sure that anyone who has been to see their MP know how difficult it is to get anyone to listen. I started posting on Twitter a few months ago and there are a handful of other contractors on there trying to generate some interest in our plight. I always avoided Twitter before but actually it has been quite therapeutic being able to direct posts at Mel Stride, HMRC etc.

    Apparently according to government figures there are 40,000 contractors affected by this retrospective legislation. I just wondered if there are any others out there who would like to jump on Twitter to see if we can get the numbers up so we can raise the profile of our situation.
    I’d be v surprised if it’s only 40k. I’d have estimated double that.

  7. #7

    More time posting than coding

    Manic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    372

    Default

    I'm not a huge twitter use, nor am I affected by the BN66 legislation, however I'm happy to follow and retweet relevant messages. PM the details.

  8. #8

    More time posting than coding


    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    394

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phil@dswtres View Post
    I’d be v surprised if it’s only 40k. I’d have estimated double that.
    Yes, I've seen estimates that it's closer to 100,000 potentially affected by LC19.

  9. #9

    More time posting than coding


    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    349

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Loan Ranger View Post
    Yes, I've seen estimates that it's closer to 100,000 potentially affected by LC19.
    And Mel Stride states that there will not be any impact to family life for these people.

    Unfortunately individuals are being hounded by HMRC and yet the likes of Google, Amazon and even Banks that used EBT schemes get preferential treatment.

    The fallout from all this will be catastrophic come 2020. It's not an exaggeration to state individuals with power and influence will indeed have blood on their hands.

  10. #10

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Manic View Post
    I'm not a huge twitter use, nor am I affected by the BN66 legislation, however I'm happy to follow and retweet relevant messages. PM the details.
    Hi if you look out for the #2019charge on Twitter you will soon see all the people who are trying to get the message out there. The more people who ge involved the more likely it will be to get someone to take notice.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •