• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

AML 2019 Loan Charge

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ex-AML contractor now living in US and new to forum

Hello all, I am new to the forum so please bear with me...

I moved back to the US after 30 years in the UK in late 2016 and worked for AML from 2013 to 2015. I am also caught up in this horrific tax avoidance issue and don't know how to proceed. I have received a letter from HMRC saying that I was believed to be in Tax Avoidance, then the wonderful letters from AML saying that I was affected and recommending 2 companies to work with. I wonder how legitimate both Vanquish Options and PTS are, especially Vanquish. I know they're very close to AML and as companies are linked.

I have ben reading this forum for months from the US and decided to join.

I contacted HMRC in May this year by registering my interest in CLSO and explained my circumstances. I read that by doing this I was not obligated to settling at that point. So far I have not heard back except for a note saying a case worker will contact me. I know my full loan amount but not the yearly breakdown from 2013 to 2015 which I have contacted both AML and PTS for, who also have the information. AML shut down their employee portal ages ago, or at least I cannot access it from here, with an Unsafe and Invalid Website message.

One page in the forum advised contacting Graham@Webberg or phil@dswtres as they were tax advisors. I am hoping they may be able to help, and does anyone know what their charges may be? Or Graham and Phil, if you see this please can you reply?

Many thanks all. I'm hating this as much as everybody there.

Comment

Originally posted by QUODM View Post
      AML made great fanfare of having written off the loans between Dec2010-March2011 internally before moving onto a different scheme in Apr2011. I don't remember exactly if this was a slightly different period for the change in EBT law (confused since I know the law was retroactively backdated to Dec2010).

I was confused to see those loans on my list from PTS then? But my understanding was they were written off, I was told by AML they were (still have email) and they were written off pre March 2016 (which is the first of 2 loan balance dates for declaration with LC) and therefore shouldn't need to be declared on the loan charge declaration.
      I am sure HMRC would say otherwise but this seems indisputable (if AML did actually write them off and not just lie to us).

Anyone else discussed these written off loans with AML/PTS or have any thoughts?
      I would think if the loans were written off then this would give rise to a liability to tax in the year they were written off. If they were not written off then you are in loan charge territory.

Comment

Originally posted by NowUS View Post
        Hello all, I am new to the forum so please bear with me...

I moved back to the US after 30 years in the UK in late 2016 and worked for AML from 2013 to 2015. I am also caught up in this horrific tax avoidance issue and don't know how to proceed. I have received a letter from HMRC saying that I was believed to be in Tax Avoidance, then the wonderful letters from AML saying that I was affected and recommending 2 companies to work with. I wonder how legitimate both Vanquish Options and PTS are, especially Vanquish. I know they're very close to AML and as companies are linked.

I have ben reading this forum for months from the US and decided to join.

I contacted HMRC in May this year by registering my interest in CLSO and explained my circumstances. I read that by doing this I was not obligated to settling at that point. So far I have not heard back except for a note saying a case worker will contact me. I know my full loan amount but not the yearly breakdown from 2013 to 2015 which I have contacted both AML and PTS for, who also have the information. AML shut down their employee portal ages ago, or at least I cannot access it from here, with an Unsafe and Invalid Website message.

One page in the forum advised contacting Graham@Webberg or phil@dswtres as they were tax advisors. I am hoping they may be able to help, and does anyone know what their charges may be? Or Graham and Phil, if you see this please can you reply?

Many thanks all. I'm hating this as much as everybody there.

Hi check out LCAG https://www.hmrcloancharge.info/ - also Phil and Graham are trustworthy - if you look at the other messages on the forum you will be able to contact them via a personal message of google their details as we are not permitted to give them out

Comment

Loan Charge re: SmartPay

Hello everyone.

This is my first post on here, so apologies if I'm asking something that has already been talked about before. I've read through many pages on this forum and it's both comforting and horrifying to see that so many people are in the same boat as me.

I received my letter from HMRC in mid-August advising of the Loan Charge and how I had until the end of September to respond - not exactly giving me ample notice to sort out my affairs! I had never even heard of the Loan Charge before this letter, so it came as quite a shock.

Since then, I have attempted to call HMRC on the number provided on the letter on countless occasions. The number is 03000 534 226. For the past week or so, every time I call this number it just gives the standard intro message and then cuts out. Similarly, I have emailed HMRC a couple of times at [email protected] and had nothing back other than the automatic instant response email. How the hell am I meant to get anything sorted if I can't contact anyone at HMRC through the avenues that they have provided??

I managed to get through on the number above on one occasion a few weeks ago just after I first got the Loan Charge letter. At this point, I didn't have a clue what was going on and the lady at HMRC advised that the scheme that they were investigating was that of SmartPay, and that was about it. No other details or information was provided.

I have spoken to SmartPay who I only used for 4 months in 2016 from July to October. They are adamant that anyone using them after April 2016 won't be affected by the Loan Charge legislation. However, just to ensure things are kept amicable between myself and HMRC, I am going to send HMRC an email with evidence of the payments I received from SmartPay as well as the agreement that was signed between myself and SmartPay.

After October 2016 when I stopped using SmartPay as an umbrella, I used the services of SP Management through a limited company. HMRC did not make any mention of this, but I have seen people on here have mentioned SP Management. Should I inform HMRC of this or should I only contact them regarding SmartPay, as that's the only service that they told me that they were investigating?

Thanks in advance

L

Comment

This is bringing me down way before the emails from AML and the Knox Trust in April.

I was using the scheme from June 2012 - June 2013 and this is split over two tax years.

Took out a Tax credit deposit via a large loan for the first year and to add insult to injury charged NI4 on it even though I was paying NI2.

Last year in June I was signed off by the doctor with anxiety and depression because of this.

After I received the emails I contacted HMRC via email which they have confirmed over the phone that they have received but they still haven’t responded in writting yet...supposed to after 30 days...May 2nd over 30 days ago.

I owe £17k on loans for 2013/14...I have expenses of £20000 supported by bank statements and confirmation emails for weekly travel to Paris and hotel accommodation as hotels were cheaper than renting as I was only in the office for three days a week.

I’m a mess and get jack sh*t from anyone and HMRC are just as bad as AML

Comment

Aml lc 2019

Join the Loan Charge Action Group and get some support.

Comment

AML with Ltd Company setup

Hi Has any that used AML setup with Ltd Co setup received the additional CT Tax demand for years involved in the scheme?It's muddling the mess even more. I am already looking for settlement. But how does this additional CT demand work and will it mean I will end up paying almost the whole loan amount as Tax...So angry at my bloody accountant who conned me into this scheme!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jazzyg View Post
                  Hi Has any that used AML setup with Ltd Co setup received the additional CT Tax demand for years involved in the scheme?It's muddling the mess even more. I am already looking for settlement. But how does this additional CT demand work and will it mean I will end up paying almost the whole loan amount as Tax...So angry at my bloody accountant who conned me into this scheme!!!
                  Accountants and advisers made millions out of this over the last 20 years. It's not as if HMRC didn't know that many were being conned. Upon the first tax return going in, there should have been a HMRC response and severe warning sent out, but they dropped the ball and left the industry to flourish and years of so-called liability to build up, then they get Tories to bring about retrospective legislation to mop up all the mess.
                  http://www.dotas-scandal.org LCAG Join Us

Comment

Originally posted by LandRover View Post
                    Accountants and advisers made millions out of this over the last 20 years. It's not as if HMRC didn't know that many were being conned. Upon the first tax return going in, there should have been a HMRC response and severe warning sent out, but they dropped the ball and left the industry to flourish and years of so-called liability to build up, then they get Tories to bring about retrospective legislation to mop up all the mess.
                    And where were you when NTRT were fighting the retrospective legislation?

Amazing the number of those affected by LC who did nothing in 2008. Then expect everyone else to help when they are caught out.

Though it will be nothing relative to the whining of contractors when public sector reforms go public. And having knifed everyone else expect support.

Comment

This forum is moderated GammaMadrid, no slagging people off please. LandRover has been helping many people since 2013 - you’ve just turned up last month. Or you’re a sock puppet.
                      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                      X