• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Finding the money LC19 - Remortgage / Equity

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finding the money LC19 - Remortgage / Equity

To cover my costs I'm planning to take out 40-50K from my property equity and slap it on the mortgage possibly with a longer term to make sure I can balance.

Today I spoke to my mortgage adviser and thought I'd share some [probably obvious] advice he offered me. Basically he stated that when speaking to your/any mortgage vendor, do not mention tax payments as your reason for request, you will be immediately denied.

Much better to state you plan to purchase a buy-to-let, and that some banks (Santander apparently one of them) do not request any evidence nor checks of this, again, you "plan" to, not are doing so.

Probably noddy information for many, but I certainly wasn't aware and if it helps someone it was worth a post I guess.

On this subject, has anybody else remortgaged for this, or planning to do so?

Originally posted by ozzyo99 View Post
    To cover my costs I'm planning to take out 40-50K from my property equity and slap it on the mortgage possibly with a longer term to make sure I can balance.

Today I spoke to my mortgage adviser and thought I'd share some [probably obvious] advice he offered me. Basically he stated that when speaking to your/any mortgage vendor, do not mention tax payments as your reason for request, you will be immediately denied.

Much better to state you plan to purchase a buy-to-let, and that some banks (Santander apparently one of them) do not request any evidence nor checks of this, again, you "plan" to, not are doing so.

Probably noddy information for many, but I certainly wasn't aware and if it helps someone it was worth a post I guess.

On this subject, has anybody else remortgaged for this, or planning to do so?
    Yes, many of us will benefit from this advice, as many of us have no other assets. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Runster View Post
      Yes, many of us will benefit from this advice, as many of us have no other assets. Thank you.
      If you jointly own your house with your partner - their half of the equity is safe and HMRC can not grab it

Comment

I'll mention two things.

1. Insolvency is a difficult area and if this is something you are contemplating, proper advice will repay you rather than well meaning but anonymous advice from posters here.

2. Be very careful about applying for mortgages or loans if you are asked about what you intend to do with the funds. A deliberate falsehood in an application is likely to cause you a lot of problems.
        Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Absolutely agree with GW - I would think that some people maybe better off applying for unsecured loans from Tesco/Sainsburys etc - some 2.9-3.1% APR deals available. If you do this now, you'd have no problem honestly telling the mortgage company in a couple of years that you wanted to extend your mortgage to consolidate these loans - the reason for taking the original unsecured loans will not be asked

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
            I'll mention two things.

1. Insolvency is a difficult area and if this is something you are contemplating, proper advice will repay you rather than well meaning but anonymous advice from posters here.

2. Be very careful about applying for mortgages or loans if you are asked about what you intend to do with the funds. A deliberate falsehood in an application is likely to cause you a lot of problems.

Totally agree webberg. This is worth a read https://www.inbrief.co.uk/property-law/mortgage-fraud/

Not mentioning a large debt is well within the scope of a criminal act. Be careful folks and don't make a bad situation even worse.

Comment

Loan from your Limited company?

I am currently running own Ltd.

Is there a legitimate and HMRC compliant way of borrowing say 50k from your own Ltd company based on a proper loan agreement and commercial interest rate, paying the loan back over say 5 years?

That was interest payment at least goes back in as revenue.

Comment

Originally posted by luxCon View Post
                I am currently running own Ltd.

Is there a legitimate and HMRC compliant way of borrowing say 50k from your own Ltd company based on a proper loan agreement and commercial interest rate, paying the loan back over say 5 years?

That was interest payment at least goes back in as revenue.
                If you borrow from your own company, you have two tax issues to deal with.

First, if the interest rate is less than the official rate, a benefit of the difference arises and is taxable.

Second, if the company is "close", (owned by fewer than 5 people), a charge arises if the loan is not repaid within 9 months of the year end. This charge is 32.5% of the loan. The charge is repaid to the company when the loan is repaid.
                Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Piebaps lets clarify some issues here.

While i appreciate your sentiments about keeping people on the straight and narrow you should be mindful that many many people on this forum are really up sh i a t creek with VERY FEW options . The HMRC nor AML are playing straight at all and using ordinary peoples lives in a game of chess. That both of these bodies are not playing a far from fair/ straight game should not be forgotten in a persons personal estimation of their subsequent choices.

There are a large number of people in a desperate situation.
                  Some about to lose their home, their marriage, bankruptcy etc
                  Some are suicidal and openly discussing this on the forums
                  Many many more ( a high majority it would seem) are suffering with severe mental & emotional heath issues due to the the HMRC imposing an unfair retrospective tax.
                  AML & HMRC playing a devils game with ordinary individuals and families lives.

If a person was in the position where they had options at their discretion to keep the family home afloat with their with wife/ husbands kept in it and it also kept them from contemplating or acting on suicide they would be foolish not to evaluate the risks and consider taking that option.

Personally im in the fortunate position i can settle. Others are facing what seems to them like a literal death sentence. I know how desperate they must be. Lets not close options for them. Agreed though they muse are aware off the potential outcomes and then evaluate.

The professional tax advisers ( im not sure you are one) are greatly appreciated on here and their input in invaluable but lets be mindful of the game some find themselves in. Lets not unnecessarily frighten those who are caught in the HMRC/AML headlights. Many as i expressed above are at or on the edge.

Lastly without spending hrs researching the outcomes oneline for evidence i would suggest there will be next to Zero cases of a person borrowing i.e an extra £30k on their mortgage to improve their property and then subsequently spending it on a 2nd hand or new car. Infact it likely this activity happens all the time with no consequence and it only on a forensic finical investigation ( due to proceeds of crime where your a known drug dealer for example) that such activities would ever come to light. Obviously there will be some exceptions.

While no one is suggesting that anyone should break the law its clear the options many are facing leave the rules and operational risks and their choice of borrowing money open to interpretation.
                  Sometimes its better to say nothing or leave a space piebaps .........

Nobody said life would be fair and we are dealing with what we are dealing with. Playing by the rules all the time is not always the best or practical option especially when your dealing with crooked players who change the rules as it suits and appear with a hand of magically powerful cards.

Britain is full of bent banks and governmental bodies dont just take my word for it.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices...-a6841636.html

Originally posted by piebaps View Post
                  Totally agree webberg. This is worth a read https://www.inbrief.co.uk/property-law/mortgage-fraud/

Not mentioning a large debt is well within the scope of a criminal act. Be careful folks and don't make a bad situation even worse.
                  Last edited by DOT COM; 4 May 2018, 07:20.

Comment

It's worth finding out what sort of payment plan HMRC would agree to.

You may be able to get enough years to pay that you don't need to remortgage.

Comment

Working...
                    X