• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

AML Loan Charge Calculator

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Other losses during the year from business

Hi

I had loans from 2008-2011 and it comes up to around £120K I think.

However those years I also had losses in an online business and a flat I rented out (which I have since sold)

Do these losses make any difference to HMRC settlement amount?

I have the tax returns from those years to prove it, if need be.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comment

Do old business losses count towards reducing tax?

Originally posted by rshome View Post
      Hi

However those years I also had losses in an online business and a flat I rented out (which I have since sold)

Has anyone got an ideas about this, please?

Comment

Loans Taxed in Years taken

Hi

Hi rshome,

If you choose to settle, the 120K will be taxed as income over the years you took it (2008-2011).

Any losses or OTHER INCOME for that matter on your self assessment returns for those years WILL be taken in to account.

If you supply the loan values to HMRC and the years in which they were taken, HMRC should do the rest - Personally I would get this verified by an independent Tax Advisor.

Regards.

MLeggsy

Comment

Originally posted by MLeggsy View Post
          Hi rshome,

If you choose to settle, the 120K will be taxed as income over the years you took it (2008-2011).

Any losses or OTHER INCOME for that matter on your self assessment returns for those years WILL be taken in to account.

If you supply the loan values to HMRC and the years in which they were taken, HMRC should do the rest - Personally I would get this verified by an independent Tax Advisor.

Regards.

MLeggsy
          Thank you. Yes I imagine if I had made a profit with the business HMRC would definitely have taxed me on it, so they should equally consider losses too.

Comment

Thank you. Yes I imagine if I had made a profit with the business HMRC would definitely have taxed me on it, so they should equally consider losses too.
            Not necessarily.

Loans are usually taxed on you as employment income according to HMRC.

If your losses are in a limited company they are not available against your personal income.

there are also some strict time limits and conditions for claiming losses which yo would need to check. In particular trade losses are usually available only against income from the same trade.
            Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

HMRC double standards

Originally posted by webberg View Post
              Not necessarily.

Loans are usually taxed on you as employment income according to HMRC.

If your losses are in a limited company they are not available against your personal income.

there are also some strict time limits and conditions for claiming losses which yo would need to check. In particular trade losses are usually available only against income from the same trade.

Thanks, however there seems to be no time limit where HMRC can charge us tax and yet with losses, there is a time limit? Makes no sense. If I made profit from a flat I rented out, that is a different trade for me, but HMRC would tax me on it.
              It seems there are no conditions when it comes to profits but only when there are losses. Such double standards by HMRC.
              I was a sole trader so my business finances were going into and out of my personal account.

Comment

Thanks, however there seems to be no time limit where HMRC can charge us tax and yet with losses, there is a time limit? Makes no sense. If I made profit from a flat I rented out, that is a different trade for me, but HMRC would tax me on it.
                It seems there are no conditions when it comes to profits but only when there are losses. Such double standards by HMRC.
                I was a sole trader so my business finances were going into and out of my personal account.
                It may not make sense but it's the rules.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Hi rshome,

I take Webberg's point - He is an expert in this area. In my case HMRC applied the loans (by year) to each SA return.

If the Losses were recorded on your SA return then they will be taken into account - For me, My SA's contained rental losses and gains, capital gains for buy to lets sales, Dividends and income - All of these were included in the settlement calculations to confirm the shortfall in Tax and Ni. I have had my figures verified by an Independent Tax Advisor and they agree with the HMRC calcs.

MLeggsy

Comment

Options re LC19

I just joined and thank you for being here.

I have loans totaling about £110,000 and HMRC say I owe about £33500 inc NICS and interest.

In the light of Mondays decision in the house of commons re NC26. I want to stall payment and dont want to enter into a binding payment plan with HMRC. I've started a new business and will post losses this year 2018/19 should I accept the loan charge?

Best AR916

Comment

You mention significant sums and a combination of factors such as losses and business entities and the like.

I suggest that an hour or two with a professional adviser would be money very well spent rather than reliance upon an anonymous forum?

(No, me neither).

Comment

Working...
                      X