• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

AML Loan Charge Calculator

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AML Loan Charge Calculator

Use this calculator.

https://www.uktaxcalculators.co.uk

Worked Example

Tax year 2008/9.

You received a salary of £15k. You paid £1,793 in tax on it.

You received loans of £80k. Plugging total £95k into the calculator, gives tax of £28,626.

Settlement would be £28,626 less what you've already paid £1,793. Ie. £26,833

If it's a protected (open) year, interest on top would be approximately 26% ie. £6,976

-------------------------

Tax Year...........Accrued Interest
    2001/2....................72%
    2002/3....................66%
    2003/4....................60%
    2004/5....................52%
    2005/6....................46%
    2006/7....................38%
    2007/8....................30%
    2008/9....................26%
    2009/10...................23%
    2010/11...................20%
    2011/12...................17%
    2012/13...................14%
    2013/14...................11%

PS. interest and other handy stuff is included in the PDF
    https://forums.contractoruk.com/hmrc...g-vs-lc19.html

What makes n Open year (subject to interest)?

Thank for the attached.

I have two years under inquiry, one with Section 9A, COP8 letter, and another year Assessment Under Discovery Provisions Section 29.

Do I take that both years are open subject to interest, or only one of them?

Thanks

Comment

Both, unfortunately.

Either an s9a or s29 count as open (protected).

Comment

Are my figures correct?

I started using AML in December 2014 and up until then I was a PAYE employee. As an employee I earned £21,237 in the 2011/2012 tax year on which I paid £3,125.40 of income tax according to my P45. I then earned £26,701 as a contractor through AML and my tax return showed I owed another £432.80 in income tax which I paid.

Plugging my total income for that tax year into the calculator above gives an income tax figure of £9,185.00, does that sound about right? I did have a workplace pension and I opened a private pension when I started contracting but to keep things simple for now I haven't included either pension in my calculation.

HMRC opened an investigation for that tax year and they came up with a figure of £22,522.60.

Comment

Originally posted by LOL17 View Post
          Are my figures correct?

I started using AML in December 2014 and up until then I was a PAYE employee. As an employee I earned £21,237 in the 2011/2012 tax year on which I paid £3,125.40 of income tax according to my P45. I then earned £26,701 as a contractor through AML and my tax return showed I owed another £432.80 in income tax which I paid.

Plugging my total income for that tax year into the calculator above gives an income tax figure of £9,185.00, does that sound about right? I did have a workplace pension and I opened a private pension when I started contracting but to keep things simple for now I haven't included either pension in my calculation.

HMRC opened an investigation for that tax year and they came up with a figure of £22,522.60.
          Are those dates correct?

Comment

Originally posted by Loan Ranger View Post
            Are those dates correct?
            Ha ha, no they're not. I started using AML in December 2011 and officially left in December 2014 although my last time sheet was for October 2014.

Comment

If you're total earnings in 2011/12 were

PAYE employee salary = £21,237
              AML salary + loans = £26,701

Then no way is HMRC's figure of £22,522.60 tax correct.

HMRC may have assumed you were with AML the whole year.

Comment

Originally posted by Loan Ranger View Post
                If you're total earnings in 2011/12 were

PAYE employee salary = £21,237
                AML salary + loans = £26,701

Then no way is HMRC's figure of £22,522.60 tax correct.

HMRC may have assumed you were with AML the whole year.
                I didn't think it was correct. I'm not sure the best way to challenge it with HMRC without opening a can of worms for subsequent tax years. I think I shall take advice on this one.

Comment

Originally posted by LOL17 View Post
                  I didn't think it was correct. I'm not sure the best way to challenge it with HMRC without opening a can of worms for subsequent tax years. I think I shall take advice on this one.
                  I had exactly the same. Joined AML in Jan 2014 after being PAYE - AML did my tax return for the 2013-14 Tax Year and lo-and-behold HMRC come back with a figure assuming AML for the whole year. They obviously didn't do any in-depth work and probably just took a shotgun approach to all AML returns.

Comment

Originally posted by luxCon View Post
                    Thank for the attached.

I have two years under inquiry, one with Section 9A, COP8 letter, and another year Assessment Under Discovery Provisions Section 29.

Do I take that both years are open subject to interest, or only one of them?

Thanks
                    I rang HMRC to find out three years out of 8 were not under enquiry. Told me directly over the phone which I guess means no interest payemnet.

Comment

Working...
                    X