• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ability of HMRC to enforce APNs in other countries

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GoneSurfing View Post
    With regards to 3, this may keep the wolves at bay for collection of APNs.

However the Loan Charge will be a new tax in a new year right? Yes If so unless the relevant country *still* doesn't have a MARD type agreement with the UK when the LC lands then this won't offer any protection from HMRC attempting to collect the LC from non-residents.

This may buy some valuable time, but HMRC will still come knocking.
    I know. I'm not suggesting anyone do the following, I'm just throwing it out there.

-------------------------------

1) Take up CLSO2 with a payment plan (TTP).
    2) This will mean withdrawing any appeals against assessments.
    3) The LC will no longer apply.
    4) At some point, stop paying.

If the tax years are not covered by a treaty, HMRC won't be able to request the assistance of the local tax authorities.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi2018 View Post
      Hi, tried to PM you but don't think I'm allowed, please get in touch if you are also caught up in this and now in NZ.
      Sorry but I started getting too many messages, so I turned it off.

Comment

One other thing...

Even if HMRC do ask your country to collect the LC, your local tax authority might agree to a more accommodating payment plan than HMRC would accept.

10 years, 20 years, $100/month

Again, worth getting the advice of a local professional.

Comment

NZ advice

Originally posted by Kiwi2018 View Post
          Hi, tried to PM you but don't think I'm allowed, please get in touch if you are also caught up in this and now in NZ.
          I have sought legal advice in NZ and am happy to share that and the UK advisor's thoughts on that with any NZ residents caught up in this mess. Its always good to know you're not the only one. Not sure if I can pm yet as I have only just joined this forum after reading it on and off for a couple of years.

Comment

By the way...

I forgot to mention that HMRC initially threatened the guy with getting his local tax authorities to enforce the APNs.

When he later challenged them about the treaty not covering tax years before 2010, they backed down immediately and were all apologetic.

Just because HMRC say they will do something, doesn't mean they can.

Comment

Interest

Won't such a long 'payment plan' just add an insane amount of interest?

Comment

Originally posted by EBTContractor View Post
                Won't such a long 'payment plan' just add an insane amount of interest?
                HMRC will usually charge around 4% interest on unpaid amounts.

(Don't confuse this with the 3% or so interest on unpaid tax. That is added to the tax bill and then if you pay in instalments the above interest is applied to unpaid amounts.)
                Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
                  HMRC will usually charge around 4% interest on unpaid amounts.

(Don't confuse this with the 3% or so interest on unpaid tax. That is added to the tax bill and then if you pay in instalments the above interest is applied to unpaid amounts.)
                  4% p.a.?

Comment

Originally posted by EBTContractor View Post
                    4% p.a.?
                    Yes.

For example.

You owe £10,000 for say 2014/15.

Due date is 31/1/16.

You agree to pay 31/10/18

You have interest on unpaid tax of £10,000 x 3% x (33/12) = £825.

Your total bill is £10,825.

You agree to pay £5,000 on 31/10/18 and then the balance over the following 24 months.

So on 1/11/18 you owe £5,825

If you pay £252.95 a month, you pay the above balance plus £245 and change in default interest.
                    Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
                      Yes.

For example.

You owe £10,000 for say 2014/15.

Due date is 31/1/16.

You agree to pay 31/10/18

You have interest on unpaid tax of £10,000 x 3% x (33/12) = £825.

Your total bill is £10,825.

You agree to pay £5,000 on 31/10/18 and then the balance over the following 24 months.

So on 1/11/18 you owe £5,825

If you pay £252.95 a month, you pay the above balance plus £245 and change in default interest.
                      I believe the calculation is:-

Amount owed x ((annual interest + forward interest)x(months/12)/2)

annual interest is currently 3%
                      foward interest is currently 1% (this is additional interest HMRC charges because of increased risk!)

so in above example 5825x((3%+1%)x(24/12)/2) = 233 + 5825 = 6058

252.42 per month.

Comment

Working...
                      X