• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ability of HMRC to enforce APNs in other countries

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ability of HMRC to enforce APNs in other countries

I know someone in another county who received APNs last year.

HMRC have conceded that they can't get the tax authorities to enforce the APNs because the tax treaty between the UK and his country excludes tax years prior to 2010. (He left the scheme in 2009)

Although the APNs are new, they are a pre-payment of tax, so it's the years in the scheme that count.

For any non-residents, it's worth checking if any treaty between the UK and your country covers the tax years you were in the scheme. If it doesn't then there may not be much HMRC can do.
    Last edited by Loan Ranger; 1 May 2018, 19:17.

Don't suppose that country was NZ by any chance?

Comment

Originally posted by InNZ View Post
      No it wasn't.

I don't want to say which country it was, just in case Hector is eves dropping.

All I will say is it is not an exotic country or tax haven.

Comment

Re. NZ

The treaty was amended in 2007 to insert a new 25A.

Double Taxation Relief (United Kingdom) Amendment Order 2008 (SR 2008/228) Schedule  New Schedule 3 added – New Zealand Legislation

This only applies from 28 August 2008.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...d-tax-treaties

If this might help you, I would advise doing a bit more research and probably getting professional advice.

Comment

In NZ too

Originally posted by InNZ View Post
          Hi, tried to PM you but don't think I'm allowed, please get in touch if you are also caught up in this and now in NZ.

Comment

For anyone who is non-resident...

I would contact a professional advisor in your country, and ask the following questions.

1) can the UK HMRC request the assistance of the tax authorities here to collect income tax on their behalf?

2) if yes, how far back in time does this go? ie. what is the oldest tax period that can be collected?

3) specifically, can the UK request collection of tax which was due in <insert tax years you were in the scheme>

Comment

There is clearly a very large proportion of the headline tax pot HMRC is seeking to recover residing overseas. The end collection rate may be very short of the original target consequently.

Definitely worth organising by country via kindred souls in Big Group etc where such activities as described are advanced.

Strength in numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by Loan Ranger View Post

I would contact a professional advisor in your country, and ask the following questions.

1) can the UK HMRC request the assistance of the tax authorities here to collect income tax on their behalf?

2) if yes, how far back in time does this go? ie. what is the oldest tax period that can be collected?

3) specifically, can the UK request collection of tax which was due in <insert tax years you were in the scheme>
                Thanks Loan Ranger, I'll get on to it.

Comment

Loan Ranger, can you please PM me. I can’t work out how to create a new PM on this forum, though it’s been a while since I’ve created one. Just want to run a question or two past you. Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by Loan Ranger View Post

With regards to 3, this may keep the wolves at bay for collection of APNs.

However the Loan Charge will be a new tax in a new year right? If so unless the relevant country *still* doesn't have a MARD type agreement with the UK when the LC lands then this won't offer any protection from HMRC attempting to collect the LC from non-residents.

This may buy some valuable time, but HMRC will still come knocking.

Comment

Working...
                    X