• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Latest LC19 pension guide (v5)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Latest LC19 pension guide (v5)

Includes more on protected (open) years.

LC19 - Pension Contributions v5

If the loan charge gets punted .. what about the pension fix ?

Originally posted by Loan Ranger View Post

Lone ranger ... thanks for this option for open years which I did (paid a personal pension contribution in 18/19 to cover my aged open year loan from 09/09)

right now I am a bit concerned tho that if the loan charge gets pushed back or scrapped ... then I did the pension payment for nothing which is a pain.

Comment

Originally posted by CanPayButWouldRatherNot View Post
      Lone ranger ... thanks for this option for open years which I did (paid a personal pension contribution in 18/19 to cover my aged open year loan from 09/09)

right now I am a bit concerned tho that if the loan charge gets pushed back or scrapped ... then I did the pension payment for nothing which is a pain.
      If you paid over your 2018/19 net relevant earnings (which your loans would have contributed to) then you can get that amount back from your pension provider (the bit over the NRE). If you didn't then the money is locked away and you'll have more enjoyment in retirement.

Comment

Originally posted by Loan Ranger View Post

Possibly a dumb question, but is this still workable? Your helpful document talks about pension contributions in the last tax year, 2018/9. I assume there's no way to make a pension contribution to 2018/9 now?

Comment

Originally posted by MrTickle View Post
          Possibly a dumb question, but is this still workable? Your helpful document talks about pension contributions in the last tax year, 2018/9. I assume there's no way to make a pension contribution to 2018/9 now?
          Correct, the tax year has ended.

Comment

Originally posted by starstruck View Post
            If you paid over your 2018/19 net relevant earnings (which your loans would have contributed to) then you can get that amount back from your pension provider (the bit over the NRE). If you didn't then the money is locked away and you'll have more enjoyment in retirement.
            Do you have a link that proves this is correct please?

I have a concern that a premium paid in excess of the allowable value is taxed.
            Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
              Do you have a link that proves this is correct please?

I have a concern that a premium paid in excess of the allowable value is taxed.
              Payments in excess of the annual allowance (including carry forward) are taxed. Payments in excess of net relevant earnings can be requested back. Google "refund of excess contributions lump sum".

Comment

Originally posted by starstruck View Post
                Payments in excess of the annual allowance (including carry forward) are taxed. Payments in excess of net relevant earnings can be requested back. Google "refund of excess contributions lump sum".
                So, if in 2018/19, salary was 50,000 and loans 100,000, NRE are £150,000.

You could, assuming that previous years allowances are untouched, make a gross premium of £160,000 (cash £128,000).

You make a premium of £150,000 gross - £120,000 cash.

The loans are removed from the equation.

You NRE is now £50,000.

You can reclaim £100,000 gross, £80,000 net contributions from the provider.

You have paid £50,000 gross, £40,000 net and in theory have no tax to pay in the year.

Do I have that right?
                Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
                  So, if in 2018/19, salary was 50,000 and loans 100,000, NRE are £150,000.

You could, assuming that previous years allowances are untouched, make a gross premium of £160,000 (cash £128,000).

You make a premium of £150,000 gross - £120,000 cash.

The loans are removed from the equation.

You NRE is now £50,000.

You can reclaim £100,000 gross, £80,000 net contributions from the provider.

You have paid £50,000 gross, £40,000 net and in theory have no tax to pay in the year.

Do I have that right?
                  I'm no pensions expert, but this is my understanding, it may not be correct.

You could pay gross £165K as 2015/16 had an allowance of £45k rather than £40k.

But let's ignore than and stick with your numbers.

LC removed

NRE = £50k but you've paid £120K cash.

So you reclaim the £70k you overpaid and lose the tax relief you were given on the £70k.

Edit - You have 7 years after the over payment in which to do this I believe, I don't know how they work out exactly how much tax relief to pay back as presumably there must be some interest as well if it's been a few years.

Edit2 - So you have paid £50k net and have no extra tax to pay
                  Last edited by starstruck; 10 September 2019, 10:42.

Comment

Working...
                  X