• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC saying 200,000 people have registered for CLSO2

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today's Telegraph Article

Interesting article in the Telegraph today ...
    "Immoral HMRC retrospective taxation of contractors"
    Stephen Lloyd's (Lib Dem MP for Eastbourne) parliamentary motion has cross-bench support from Labour & DUP MPs. His motion is that retrospectively taxing something that was technically allowed at the time is unfair and should not apply to those who entered into schemes before the Finance Bill gained royal assent last year.
    I like many others was led into the arrangement by my accountant.
    A tax consultant also believes that this is "taxing individuals retrospectively, which would be illegal and the protocol is that this should only be retrospective in exceptional circumstances."
    Although HMRC has the power to fine and recover any fees earned by enablers of tax avoidance, I haven't seen any sign of this ...
    I'm thinking of writing to Stephen ...

Comment

Originally posted by Iliketax View Post

And then expanded on it later in the thread. Is that what you mean?
      Indeed I did. Like I said happy to take it offline.
      Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
        Sorry, I don't do offline. Information should be free.
        Last edited by Iliketax; 14 May 2018, 17:02.

Comment

True. In this instance however it's an exchange with an HMRC officer as part of a series of discussions we're having and he specifically asked that we not publish in a public forum a view that is potentially limited to his understanding.

I offered a private exchange as I believe that you would respect that request.

However, as you wish.
          Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by Loan Ranger View Post
            Ok, say HMRC fail to get settlement figures out to a few thousand people before 5/4/19.

Everyone goes to see their MP and complains that they registered for settlement before 31 May 2018, they've chased HMRC and nothing has been forthcoming.

Then watch the brown stuff hit the fan.
            lol.

MPs don't care, HMRC don't care, the public don't care.

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
              Going back to my original question,
              Does this mean that I will be subject to loan charge if HMRC fail to send me settlement figures by 5 April 2018?

Comment

Originally posted by GUD View Post
                Going back to my original question,
                Does this mean that I will be subject to loan charge if HMRC fail to send me settlement figures by 5 April 2018?
                It's not the settlement figures that matter. It is that you have paid the tax by 5 April 2019 (or agreed time to pay with HMRC by 5 April 2019).

That may change if, in my view very unlikely, the government changes the law or HMRC introduce some sort of relaxation.

Comment

Originally posted by Dylan View Post
                  lol.

MPs don't care, HMRC don't care, the public don't care.
                  The clouds are gathering against HMRC on many fronts. There will be a parliamentary committee hearing soon. It is a slow process.

I think the general contracting industry are concerned about public sector reforms going private so are interested in seeing HMRC power curtailed - or at least trying to work with HMRC.

Comment

I wish HMRC took a similar view to transparency.

Information should be free; unfortunately, the veracity of information on here is open to question (not including you in this Iliketax, Webberg or Phil).
                    Last edited by ConfusedEasily; 15 May 2018, 18:47.

Comment

Working...
                    X