• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC settlement Deadlines/delays and the LC

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dmuk View Post
    How does the recent HMRC review play into individual engagements with HMRC? Can you now delay settling or responding to settlement with referencing parliament report?

Amend and review loan charge - Contractor Weekly
    These are recommendations. HMRC does not have to do anything about them.

Personally I don't think HMRC will do anything. I want to be wrong.

Comment

Deadline way past but HMRC letter dated 23 November

Hello, hoping to find out if anyone else is in the same boat as me. I've received the standard HMRC letter just this week but it was dated 23 November (last week). This is the first time I've heard of the loan charge and that it could apply to my situation.

The Sep deadline is way gone and I'm very worried that there is not enough time to get a settlement calc and evaluate my options before Apr next year. I've left messages for a couple of the tax advisors generally recommended on this forum to call me so I don't even have one engaged yet.

I called the HMRC number this morning and the guy I spoke to said there were no dispensations available for the missed Sep deadline. All he could say was that if I send my loan figures to HMRC asap, they will try to do their best to settle before April. He also said he would send me the settlement pack straight after the call but no sign of that yet so will have to chase again tomorrow.

Does anyone know what sort of timeline is realistic from start to sign off of settlement?

Comment

Originally posted by Skellig View Post
        Hello, hoping to find out if anyone else is in the same boat as me. I've received the standard HMRC letter just this week but it was dated 23 November (last week). This is the first time I've heard of the loan charge and that it could apply to my situation.

The Sep deadline is way gone and I'm very worried that there is not enough time to get a settlement calc and evaluate my options before Apr next year. I've left messages for a couple of the tax advisors generally recommended on this forum to call me so I don't even have one engaged yet.

I called the HMRC number this morning and the guy I spoke to said there were no dispensations available for the missed Sep deadline. All he could say was that if I send my loan figures to HMRC asap, they will try to do their best to settle before April. He also said he would send me the settlement pack straight after the call but no sign of that yet so will have to chase again tomorrow.

Does anyone know what sort of timeline is realistic from start to sign off of settlement?
        Firstly, as usual join Loan Charge Action Group if you haven't already loancharge.info

Obviously you are supposed to have had 3 years notice but the vast majority haven't. They are supposed to have completed all the settlement submissions before the end of november but they have failed on that and now say just in time for Xmas.

I suspect you will get a settlement figure well before April if you get them in fairly quick. The take up hasn't been as high as they say.

Don't panic. Read up and get some professional advice. And join LCAG.

Comment

Originally posted by Skellig View Post

I have the same problem. I only learnt of the LC a few weeks ago, and immediately went to WTT for help, and to settle. They've answered all 1,000,000 of my questions so far, a few more to ask lol. I've done everything as quick as I can, albeit past the deadline. Saying I had 3 years to report it doesn't work for me, as I only started the scheme in 2017(!) which is why i thought it was safe and HMRC compliant, as it was still allowed and running.

Even to this day my scheme promoter is amendment the Loan Charge doesn't apply to me, so they defend their decision not to tell me about it. "Why would we ring you up to tell you about something that doesn't concern you?". Worryingly they aren't telling any of their other clients either.

I think (hope) they will help anyone who comes forward, regardless of time...

Comment

HMRC deadline for settlement is irreverent..I think you can still register to settle

Originally posted by here4beer View Post
            I have the same problem. I only learnt of the LC a few weeks ago, and immediately went to WTT for help, and to settle. They've answered all 1,000,000 of my questions so far, a few more to ask lol. I've done everything as quick as I can, albeit past the deadline. Saying I had 3 years to report it doesn't work for me, as I only started the scheme in 2017(!) which is why i thought it was safe and HMRC compliant, as it was still allowed and running.

Even to this day my scheme promoter is amendment the Loan Charge doesn't apply to me, so they defend their decision not to tell me about it. "Why would we ring you up to tell you about something that doesn't concern you?". Worryingly they aren't telling any of their other clients either.

I think (hope) they will help anyone who comes forward, regardless of time...

Regarding the HMRC September deadline, I think they clarified in the webinar that people who want to settle can still contact HMRC so I think Sept deadline was to just collect the crowed but people who have come to know after that can still register to settle.

Comment

Fight Back; HMRC Benefits Only; DO NOT BACK DOWN

Dear all,

I used Eximius along with many other contractors. We were sold Eximius on the basis it suited our employer. Whatever that was it is not interesting.

What is interesting:

Any individual has a level of responsibility to complete Due Diligence (DD) when using any scheme for payroll. I was Directed to Eximius like others by the Company we were working for, they were Publicaly Listed on the Stock Exchange in London when others used them, however were Private when I joined. Their client was Publicly Listed and still is.

Their DD was absent and whom ever introduced them did ok for sure.

But here is where it gets interesting.

HMRC sent me a letter stating they 'believed' xyz and more. Frankly embarrassing as a Government Organisation to state the word 'believe'.

Such schemes run and do so for the obvious reason HMRC will benefit on a greater scale in the long run. Any scheme that doesn't allow HMRC to believe or bully Contractors or indeed anyone possibly sold lies into paying more often than not a level on tax over and above reasonable probably is off the radar.

Those whom run the Schemes do very well and it reminds me of 'Miss sold PPI' it's on that level.

What is interesting is I am aware of a Prosecution that took place where the defendants all received hefty sentences for using a loop hole(s) to make huge sums, they were on a different level to most of us. However same principles.

I will as will the others in am in contact with not be settling. Anyone who can relate to the above is a victim of a scheme years in the making and a conspiracy.

Best

Blazer

Comment

I last spoke with HMRC in confirming figures and was told a contract would be sent out, Been waiting about three weeks now. How long have others waited for this are they dragging their heels again because of the deadline shifting right

Comment

got my settlement

Originally posted by Iter View Post
                  I last spoke with HMRC in confirming figures and was told a contract would be sent out, Been waiting about three weeks now. How long have others waited for this are they dragging their heels again because of the deadline shifting right
                  I received mine at the end of Jan.
                  haven't replied yet and they give you 30 days to accept!

Comment

Not heard from them yet aside from them saying they'd reached some sort of conclusion on the 16th Jan.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggysoft View Post
                      Not heard from them yet aside from them saying they'd reached some sort of conclusion on the 16th Jan.
                      That sounds more like a closure notice than a settlement.

Go and read it again.
                      Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Working...
                      X